1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NFL Draft early entry thread, AKA Jimmy Clausen has flown the coop

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: 2010 NFL Draft thread, AKA Jimmy Clausen jumps ship at Notre Dame

Zowie. They better beat Purdue, and hope both Michigan teams remain in the dumps, or it could get real grim real fast. :eek: :eek:

OTOH, if they split their first 6 games, they could be on the way to another... wait for it... RETURN TO GLORY!!!!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That has all the potential of a three-win season. Including my Broncos, dammit...

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

GOLDEN TATE is the real loss for ND in this. Jimmy Clausen was decent, but Tate was the Irish offense!

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So which NFL team needs an emu?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just shocking that Weis would tell Claussen and Tate to leave early, the classless bastard. I can't say that he is wrong, but it isn't the brightest decision for these kids to listen to advise from a guy who just got fired by the school.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Michael Floyd could be even better.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Two words: Sam Bradford. His staying in school, when he would have been the No. 1 pick, cost him $40 million. He won't be a first-rounder next year. He will get a fraction of that when he's drafted after Clausen.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, people hate Charlie Weis. He's a general douche. Fine. But seriously, if you think that advice was anything other than absolutely correct, you're a fool. It's not classless to give the kids the CORRECT advice.

What would Golden Tate possibly do next year - with a ROOKIE quarterback - that is going to improve his draft stock? Should Clausen really risk injury when NFL teams have had three years to assess him and he's probably the No. 2 QB on the board (and he could improve that at the combine or a pro day)?

9. outofplace

I never said he was wrong. I said that it was dumb to ask the guy who just got fired for his advice, because even if he thought staying was the right thing for them to do, he would have told them to leave.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Still a ridiculous statement. He holds no love for the media (nor it for him), but to suggest he would give two kids bad advice just to spite Notre Dame is asinine. I think it's pretty clear that he still holds loyalty to the school.

I think that's why he said a couple of weeks ago that he couldn't argue if they fired him and why he said after he got fired that he still wishes for the school to succeed.

He knew his teams didn't live up to Irish standards or expectations, he's still getting his millions from the buyout. There's absolutely no reason to believe he'd have any animosity toward the school. It's pretty obvious he'd accepted his fate after the UConn game.

11. outofplace

Bullshit. Weis has proven that his lack of class time and again. You're giving the guy way too much credit. You don't think he is capable of saying the nice things publicly, then wanting to stab the people that fired him in the back? Talk about asinine.

12. Re: 2010 NFL Draft thread, AKA Jimmy Clausen jumps ship at Notre Dame

This was such a slam dunk decision for both kids that I can't believe we're arguing about whether Weis should have recused himself. He's the only college coach either one of them have ever known. He's does a lot of dumb things, like refusing to talk after the Stanford game or talking about his "decided schematic advantage" or ripping Pete Carroll. This isn't one of them.

At this point, it becomes piling on to criticize him. He has a relationship with both these kids. You would have preferred he turned his back on them now that he isn't drawing a paycheck? That would have been 1,000 times more troublesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted