1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NFL Combine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JennaLaine, Feb 26, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Abbott, don't out your mom on the board. Way not cool

2. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

Yeah Rome just spent 30 min or so ripping Clausen. I wouldn't go with a QB who has any questions regarding his character. Not at that position. Bradford a much safer option. I'm not a gambler though.

DE Jason Pierre-Paul is having one heck of a Combine with a 4.64 40 this morning. He's a South Florida kid so naturally I'm supposed to love him, but one year playing D-I makes me NERVOUS. Once teams started double-teaming him the way they did Selvie, he seemed a little irrelevent towards the end of the season.

Still, he's Mayock's #1 at DE. I think he has all the physical tools, but I'm not sold on him being the top DE prospect. Thoughts?
    [/quote]

McShay and Kiper have been talking Pierre-Paul up all season and he did have a great year. Blew past Selvie on the prospect chart and was the best pass rusher in the Big East. He certainly looks like the guy you want playing that position: tall, rangy, big frame, can run.
    But my gut says this guy could be a major bust, based soley on his lack of experience. I see guys like Gaines Adams (RIP) and Vernon Gholston who were able to wreck offensive tackles in college based on crazy athleticism, then they get to the pros and they struggle with technique. As freaky athletic and fast as Freeney is, the guy is headsy and has a great feel for setting up his moves. Same goes for Dumervill. He was football smart enough to learn a position in the NFL.
    In the NFL, go get the quarterback doesn't cut it.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why exactly has Mike Mayock become the fucking expert on all things NFL draft? What the fuck has he ever done?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Couldn't you ask the same thing about most of the so-called draft experts?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

For example, who the fuck is "espn director of college scouting (WFT?)" Todd McShay? What is his credibility? Suddenly he just comes out and hogs up all of Mel Kiper's time? He looks like Joe McCoy to me.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Mayock's record on this stuff is pretty solid. What he's done is what they asked him to do, analyze prospects. He also played corner in the league.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

ESPN is trying hard to create a Kiper foil. They are required to argue about everything.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes. You can.

But when I see journalists, by the dozens, huddling around Mayock for quotes it makes me think journalists have become a very lazy breed......

And Flying, you are right - who the fuck is that guy?

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

McShay came about when negotiations with Mel went downhill a few years ago. McShay had Jake Locker as his #1 prospect this year and was critical of Locker going back to UW. The reason Locker went back was the Draft Board told him he was at best a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Granted the board is usually conservative but to tout a guy as #1 who was forced to go back to school crushes the credibilty.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mayock knows what he is talking about. I am sure a little bit of his knowledge comes from actually playing the game at high level.

I certainly place great faith in what Mayock has to say than McShay. The fact that Mayock played for Parcells makes him a lot better connected to the league.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I heard the McShay story about Locker before.

Yesterday I thought I saw on the treadmill that Joe Haden ran a slower 40 than expected -- by about two-tenths of a second. He said that's unacceptable for a supposed "elite cornerback." Since when does playing cornerback mean running straight ahead for 40 yards in a pair of shorts and sneakers? I know you have to run and be fast, but is two-tenths of a second in one race in shorts that big a deal? Certainly the way McShay considered it devestating? Hasn't he learned anything about the fallacy of 40 times? Or did he vote Darius Heyward-Bey all-pro this year?

What a joker. The only thing he has on Kiper is a better head of hair.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So Haden ends up at safety. So what he'll still be a pro bowl player.

Draft saved Draft deleted