1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NFL Combine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JennaLaine, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really the list is not that long once you get by Mamula.
    The list of workout wonders that succeeded is longer.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

back in the days when the combine was a great place to be to get to know thee nfl's power brokers, you could always count on the bengals/mike brown posse to be dining at the nearbyburger/shakes place. forget the name (shake 'n something) but it's a chain. good shakes, anyway.

those "good ol' days" were pretty recent, too -- it wasn't until, oh, 2000 or so that espn and later nfl network turned into a huge event. maybe about 15-20 hardcores staked out the lobby of the hotel players would come to to be interviewed by the teams. coaches and execs there to be intercepted throughout.

now, everything about it is a league-staged event. it was much better the old way, says this grumpy ol' man.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

George was thought of as possibly a low first-round pick, but after one workout -- one -- where he showed off his arm strength, suddenly teams were burning the phone lines to Atlanta to get that No. 1 pick. The Colts "won." Tellingly for George's tenure in his hometown, 90 percent of respondents to a TV poll, "Are you happy the Colts drafted Jeff George," answered "no." Not scientific, but people locally hated him for how his high school coach would let him run the two-minute drill with his team up 35-0, the whole situation with his mom, and the messiness at Purdue.

For the all (justified) criticism of Bill Polian, one thing he does well -- what any good general manager does -- is follow under-the-radar players, and then lets the combine confirm or not confirm his instincts.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's Steak 'n' Shake, Roger Ebert's favorite. My brother works there (as a tax accountant, not a burger flipper). Odd thing about Steak 'n' Shake -- it was acquired by a 32-year-old self-styled investment wonder from San Antonio who wants to use it as the basis to become the next Warren Buffet. I would be happy if he would just bring back King Cola.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Steak-N-Shake. Dang, I miss that place. We don't have any in the South.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But George was a known commodity. Mamula came out of nowhere.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes!! "steak 'n' shake!!" great shakes.

after 11 p.m. or so, the hotel bar rooms were terrific places to develop good face-time relationships with folks. gotta say i miss being part of it all.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Hey, I liked it. It's very clean and shows that you've really busted your ass to get where you are.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Agreed. It's kind of sad that some of us around here feel the need to belittle someone out of their own insecurities.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Alexander Wright (who could not catch or do much of anything else) logged one of the fastest times in the history of the combine.

Naturally, he became a Raider at some point in his career.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

What part of the South do you live in? All over ACC and SEC country where I have traveled. Heck, I remember when they first started coming here circa 2003, a photag I worked with nearly drove off the road when he saw one. (he had previously worked in KC, and was uber excited.)

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Also,

to get back on Combine stuff. You never know what to expect. I profiled a kid last year from a small school who put up all kinds of great numbers ( top 10 in shuttle, 40, bench press and a couple more) and was passed over in the draft. It is such a hit-or-miss thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted