1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NFL Combine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JennaLaine, Feb 26, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No popcorn. Talk Combine or leave this one alone.

2. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Wow, glad to hear you are so proficient in google. Well done. Apparently it's a crime to have been a personal trainer and added to my credibility by winning fitness competitions. Which speaking of...my fitness contest photos are perfectly suitable for work. Your reaction to this photos is what's not!

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Should be "these photos"

4. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Okay I make one typo, thanks for pointing it out. And seriously, if you have a problem with me...take it to PM.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm going to dinner, and I'll bet $5 this thread's locked by the time I get back.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No problem at all. I just think you need to learn to accept that sometimes threads don't always go the way you want.

7. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Nevermind. Arguing with this person is childish

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Now you're getting it.

If I can try to get it back to the combine: I'd like to propose we start a Workout Wonder Hall of Fame, for those players who suddenly shot up the charts because of their combine performance (or wherever they worked out), and ended up with lousy or underwhelming NFL careers because GMs and scouts didn't pay enough attention to how they actually played football.

I would nominate Mike Mamula and Jeff George as first-ballot Workout Wonder Hall of Famers.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Matt Jones from Arkansas (who has since been cut by the Jaguars) would have to be at the top of the list. He went from being a second day pick to a first-rounder with one 40-time.

10. mb

mb Active Member

Isn't Mamula pretty much the ultimate Combine guy? George, IIRC, was already pretty highly thought of. And Jones was a pretty huge deal coming out of Arkansas. Mamula, though, came out of nowhere to be drafted waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than anyone thought he would be.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jevon Kearse was a combine wonder who did actually pan out swimmingly for a few years.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Congrats, Jenna. It only took you 47 posts to figure out what some of us still haven't grasped. :)

As far as the combine goes...as Bob said, I think we give way too much credence to things like 40 times and Wonderlic test results.

The combine is becoming an event unto itself. But I do like it when a guy from an under-the-radar school gets himself noticed. The combine shouldn't go away, just be kept in perspective.

Draft saved Draft deleted