1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NBA offseason draft, FA, etc etc...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sorry Sam, Allen has been a great owner for the Seahawks, can you provide an example of how he hasn't been?

He's spent, for the most part he hasn't meddled and the team is still in Seattle because of him.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

-The mess with Pritchard smells.
    -The buzzards surrounding whether or not to pull GM responsibilities from Mike Holmgren did not cover the franchise or Allen in glory. Either do it or shut up and don't bother. Didn't need the drama.

Positives?
    -Did get the Seahawks in a nice stadium and out of the awful Kingdome.
    -Hired Holmgren and, for a while, gave him the keys to the castle. Still more a positive than a negative ... from what I saw, he didn't abuse the privilege a fraction as much as Mike Shanahan did in Denver.
    -Was willing to spend money and didn't get cheap.

Won't question Paul Allen's willingness to spend money, but this crap he and the Blazers pulled with Pritchard was childish and stupid. If you don't want this GM, fire him with enough time to conduct a search and have a replacement ready for a draft strategy. The timing of this move, exacerbated by having him work the draft as a lame duck, was awful. An almost Dan Snyder-type of move in that he thinks his money entitles him to treat people poorly.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about the Blazers, I'm strictly talking about the Seahawks.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Problem is, Paul Allen is the owner of both franchises, not to mention I'm trying - for once - to stay on topic.

I gave the positives and negatives and, while they're with both the Blazers and Seahawks, I also tried to bring out some issues which shows the public a snapshot of Paul Allen and the potentially emerging possibility that one would need to be especially motivated financially to work for him. Not the worse owner in the world by a long shot, but has made - or signed off, at least - on some maneuvers which were handled poorly.

Never said he was a bad owner, though I did call the Blazers a joke of a franchise. But I hope I have exhibited that he has some characteristics which could (should?) be called to question.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Before you present Pritchard as the victim (and yes, they shouldn't have fired him on draft day), might wanna read this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-trailblazers032210

Also: every year that LeBron doesn't win the title, we're going to remember this summer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av1WcisR8X25H2OvIrXtSF68vLYF?slug=aw-lebronfreeagent062510

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Allen has next to nothing to do with the franchises he owns. During the five years I covered the NFL, he was the only owner to miss the owner's meetings. They said his teams are such a small percentage of his wealth that the meetings weren't worth his time.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Don't read Simmons a lot, but I'm maybe halfway through his NBA Draft diary and really enjoying it so far. He does write well about basketball when he's not homering it up.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100625

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've come around on Simmons in the last year. I'm definitely a fan.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I were Pritchard, and forced to work the draft after being fired, I would have made the Blazers' pick some unknown guy from a D-III school or Uganda or something like that, just to screw them up.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Really? Or would you do your job with class and competence in an effort to improve how you look in the eyes of future employers?

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

[​IMG]

Kevin Durant responding to a Kobe fan. Apparently, it's already been taken off of his Twitter account.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There are a lot of reasons to rip Simmons. His encyclopedic knowledge of the NBA and his ability to analyze it in-depth are not among them.

Draft saved Draft deleted