1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Indy 500

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 30, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thing is, that it happened in Apex makes it a bigger event that if it had occurred in either Raleigh or Durham. It's not as if Apex is typically a hub for news.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

As wrecks go, that one was horrifying.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I guess it's a sign how far Indy has fallen when fifth place gets a longer interview than the winner.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just not an IndyCar guy, but I was mostly bored by the race. Franchitti's dominance probably didn't help. What drama there was was destroyed by that crash on 198. Makes me understand why NASCAR does green-white-checker, although I'm still not completely sold on it.

But at least Danica was far enough out of the race that there wasn't a lot of time spent obsessing on her.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

How does that dude survive the crash?
    It was just the capsule, everything else had been ripped off and he gets out of the wreck and waves to the crowd.
    Just astonishing.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Looking at it again, it's probably because the underside of the chassis hit the fence. If he'd spun one more time, it would have been head first and that might have been fatal.

Even seen a shot of a flipped-over Indy car and it appears that the driver's head is supporting the car? I'm amazed they walk away from that. Maybe the driver is being supported better by the belts better than it appears but I imagine it's rather freaky to be sliding upside down in an Indy car and feeling your helmet scraping along the pavement.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Remember these cars are designed to fly apart like that. Still a horrible crash, but there is a lot of protection around the driver, which is why the capsule didn't break apart.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

So the race broadcast and the AP reported that Danica finished 5th, but now the Indycar.com site shows her coming in 6th. Anyone know which is right and what happened?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They moved Marco Andretti up from (I think) 6th to 3rd. There was talk immediately after the race that he had been passed under the yellow for Conway's accident. I assume that's the reason.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

It's gone now, but indycar.com previously listed Paul Tracy as the Indy 500 winner.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I thought it was a good race. There was some drama at the end with the guys short on fuel, and Dario deserved to win.

Tony Kanaan was fun to watch and a great story.

I'm a born and bred NASCAR guy, but I've been losing interest more and more the last 5-6 years. Especially now, it's just three hours of nothing then wait for the GWC. They should just run a 10-lap shootout and let everyone go home.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It's all part of the great monopolistic NASCAR conspiracy to make sure its fans don't realize how much its product sucks by letting them see a superior form of racing (/thepeopleonIndyCarforums).

Draft saved Draft deleted