1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Indy 500

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 30, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We're starting our engines and there's no thread on this yet?? (or am I missing it?)

I just want to know: If Jim Nabors ever dies, who is going to sing the song?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

21: Mellencamp.

And please, a win for TK or Marco Andretti today.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Figures--21 is already into the wall.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Jesus ... nice driving, Hamilton.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

WTVD in Raleigh cut into the race coverage to cover a murder-suicide. WTF?

EDIT: Oh, and the incident happened 2 and a half hours ago.

6. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Ganassi and DeFerran Dragon are probably going to be looking for new pit crew members tonight.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Why wouldn't they cut in? The murder happened in a public location (Target) where shoppers witnessed the whole thing. And the store is now shut down. Of course WTVD is going to break in with that story. They would be stupid not to.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Because it's a) old already, b) there's no threat to the public if the gunmen offed himself, which they knew by the time they cut in, and c) no one watching the race is going to be heading off to the SuperTarget in the middle of it. Breaking in is not understanding the audience watching the race. They could easily insert a scroll and direct people to one of their sub channels instead of interrupting race coverage.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It wasn't the last lap of the race. It was a significant news story. The store was shut down. The station completely gets the race audience because it clearly understands that not too many households are watching it. The ratings suck. I guarantee you that very few viewers are calling WTVD to complain about a brief interruption.

Edit: Sorry for the threadjack

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Try cutting into a NASCAR race in this region. Not kidding.

Dunno why TVD would deem this worth interrupting network programming. But since TVD is an ABC O&O, there will be no word from the powers-to-be.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Oh, I get NASCAR. I live in a similar market. The affiliate I worked at would never have cut into a race.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As irrelevant as the 500 has become, the ratings likely spiked with the break-in.

Draft saved Draft deleted