1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Fantasy Baseball Running Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm doing one of those nifty Mock Drafts on Yahoo right now and this is my team thus far...

1. Alex Rodriguez
    2. Matt Holliday
    3. Zack Grienke
    4. Derek Lee
    5. Curtis Granderson
    6. Josh Johnson
    7. Jonathan Broxton
    8. Cole Hamels
    9. Josh Beckett

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cuts due Monday in a mixed-league keeper. Each team protects 14 and I'm kinda stuck with mine. Trying to make a deal, but it's not happening. So I ask SportsJournalists.com for help. I wrote about this one earlier, but I figured I'd toss it out again as I'm struggling with a pitcher spot, too.

Pitching is always at a premium, so I'm keeping at least five starters. Beyond that, I'm open to ideas.

Here's my locks
    1. Joe Mauer
    2. Miguel Cabrera
    3. Chase Utley
    4. Troy Tulowitzki
    5. Aramis Ramirez
    6. Kendry Morales
    7. Zack Greinke
    8. Felix Hernandez
    9. Jake Peavy
    10. Joakim Soria
    11. Scott Baker

Here are my options for the remaining positions.
    Wandy Rodriguez
    Brandon Webb
    Kevin Slowey
    Carlos Quentin
    Bob Abreu
    Chone Figgins

So, what do you guys think?

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That's tough, for sure. I'd get ride of Baker and go with Wandy Rodriguez and Brandon Webb, then it's pretty tough among the final three. I'd probably go Quentin and Abreu just based on that fact that you already have a good 3B and a Utility player being one of your two legit first basemen.

4. outofplace

Thanks. I figured somebody would suggest dumping Baker. No offense, but I'm not even considering it. I know Baker has a few fans in my league, so he wouldn't make it out of the first round of the draft. I think he is a better bet than either Webb or Rodriguez for 2010 and going forward. He was lights out after a brutal start in 2009, when he was pitching with a minor injury that kept him from finishing on his pitches. Plus, I think the new ballpark is going to help the Minnesota pitching staff.

So if you did have to choose, would it be Webb or Rodriguez? Right now, I'm leaning toward Quentin, Abreu and Rodriguez for those last 3 spots.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Since he's coming back from a shoulder injury, I'd stay far away from Webb. If it were Tommy John, I'd probably find a place for him. Big difference between the two ... obviously.

As for Quentin, I'm making the point to draft him in as many leagues as possible. I loved what he did when healthy in '08. He's reportedly 100 percent and I think is a fantastic buy-low guy.

I'm indifferent on Abreu. He's a just a ho-hum league average outfielder to me.

I'd keep Quentin, Rodriguez and Figgins, the latter for depth and/or in case A-Ram gets hurt.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Hm. Well, maybe I'm the one that needs to reevaluate Baker. He's always seemed pretty average to me, but you make a good case.

With Webb, I'm just generally optimistic. I can't imagine him getting to Round 14 in my draft. His upside is obviously really high, but Rodriguez could be dang near as good and is obviously not packing nearly as much risk.

7. outofplace

Oh, you could definitely be right about Baker. But to me, he is as good of an example as there is of the importance of looking at WHIP as well as ERA when evaluating a pitcher.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I feel like an idiot for downplaying Bobby Abreu's fantasy impact.

For whatever reason -- selective memory/forgetting stats, I guess -- I assumed that he took a step back last season. The numbers (15 HR, 30 SB, another great OBP year) suggest otherwise, obviously.

9. outofplace

He is getting old and his power has faded quite a bit, but he is great in my league's format, which has OPS and walks as categories. The only reason I'm looking at him over Figgins is the fact that I have three other corner infielders already and only one other keeper in the outfield. All things being equal, I'd go with Figgins, too.

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

In a rare league where you deal with OBP or OPS, it's funny how quickly people forget about the "old man skills" of getting on base or hitting for power. While Abreu won't hit lots of home runs, guys like him are great for the OBP category.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

We're already drafting via message board in my 18-team league. The owners were so excited they couldn't wait, which I love.

Who do I pick in the first round?

Evan Longoria? David Wright? Troy Tulowitzki? Matt Kemp?

I don't think I can lose with any of those guys, really. I'm hoping somebody in front of me drafts David Wright.

My current thought is: 1. Longoria if he's available, then Tulo. Owned Troy last year. Hated him in April. Loved him every other month.

12. outofplace

I know a lot of people have Kemp over Tulowitzki, but given how easy it is to find outfielders, I agree with you. Longoria, then Tulowitzki, with Kepm the third option.

Draft saved Draft deleted