1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Fantasy Baseball Running Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gonna keep Felix Hernandez, Brian McCann, Adam Lind and Ichiro for sure. I either keep Porcello or only four (I could keep Brian Wilson, but I'd just as soon throw him back and re-draft him, say, five rounds later).

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So you would be giving up the equivalent of 5th-round pick to keep Porcello? I say cut him loose.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Please help me with my shitty team. 14 team keeper league. Seven major league keeepers. Six minor leaguers. You can leave guys in the minors as long as you want, but once you pull them up (and they're in the bigs already) they're up for good.

My majors options

Johan Santana
    CC Sabathia
    Chad Billingsley
    Rick Porcello
    Brian Wilson

Brian Roberts
    Manny Ramriez
    Shane Victorino
    Stephen Drew
    James Loney

Minors guys:
    Matt Wieters
    Pedro Alvarez
    Jason Heyward
    Tim Beckham
    Stephen Strasburg
    Neftali Feliz

Alex Gordon
    -------

I know stashing Gordon is probably a waste of my time, but he probably has more value in my league than yours, seeing as we're comprised of overly dedicated Royals fans. Last year was an entirely lost season for him, but I'm going to hope against hope that he puts his world together a little bit this season. I'll probably cut Beckham from my minors to keep Gorden. I also am probably going to hold Wieters down there at least one more season, then hope a lot of those guys are ready to come up together.

As for the rest, outside Santana, Sabathia, Roberts and Ramirez I have a bunch of tweeners. I'll probably definitely keep Billingsley, though he really had a shitty second half last year.

So really, it comes down to picking two of these players:
    Drew
    Loney
    Victorino
    Porcello

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'd keep Drew, if only for his positional value, and Victorino.

That's a fantastic minor league team, though I'm not particularly high on Tim Beckham. While young, he had an underwhelming debut and might not stick as a middle infielder.

5. outofplace

I would also keep Drew and Victorino. I like Porcello, but the lack of strikeouts concerns me.

Your minor-league team is sick. Is that Tim Beckham (Class A shortstop) or do you mean Gordon Beckham? I completely disagree with Trey if it is Gordon. He's going to be a middle infielder this year (second base) and he's going to be a good enough infielder to play on the corner eventually.

6. Trey Beamon

Tim Beckham, which I noted in my post, Mr. Magoo. :)

Gordon Beckham looks like a future star, whether he's at second or third.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Thanks much.

It's Tim. And he has been underwhelming.

I've gotten pretty lucky with my minors. Three years ago (?) I was the only one in our league that noticed when they added that year's draft class, so I got David Price, Wieters and Porcello. Then I eventually traded Price for Manny Ramirez and Jason Heyward about 18 months ago. Got pretty damn lucky there when Heyward went off last season. Then when Strasburg came available midway through last season I was probably third on the waiver wire, but I think one guy was out of town for the week and the other doesn't always pay close attention, so I scooped him too.

Loney is a big temptation for me. He's still young and seems like a guy who if he ever really "gets it" could be really good. In fact, if he does, seems like it will be now, this year, or maybe next. I've carried him over for two years now and would hate to give up on him the offseason before he broke out.

Then again, I've had him so long and been so invested in his "getting it" that perhaps I've lost my ability to judge his ability to actually put it together. So, am I crazy?

8. Trey Beamon

"Getting it" requires above-average power numbers at 1B.

And if Loney's track record is any indication -- he's averaged just under 14 home runs per season, with a career high of 15 three years ago -- he likely never will.

I wouldn't mind if he was on my favorite team, but can't say the same in regard to fantasy baseball.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

15 in half a season in the bigs, for what it's worth.

But, you're right. His minor league numbers don't show much power either.

Thanks.

10. outofplace

That's why I asked the question. Some people out there still don't realize how good Gordon Beckham is. I was kinda surprised somebody even had Tim Beckham, but none of my leagues have minor-league systems so I'm not so familiar with how deep it goes.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

No. 1 overall pick last year. I grabbed him early, figuring an SS that goes No. 1 probably has some upside.

12. outofplace

Gotcha. Didn't mean to sound critical. Given the way you've built your minor-league, you certainly seem to know what you are doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted