1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Fantasy Baseball Running Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jan 25, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Positional scarcity isn't really a constant anymore, it shifts around by position. You have to find where the clear lines are and make sure you are on the right side of them.

For example, last year, if you didn't have Chase Utley or Ben Zobrist at 2b, it didn't really matter who you got from the best of the rest. Those two were a clear cut above the rest in terms of value, but the rest of the pack was pretty bunched. At 3b, I thought there was more of a smooth curve down the line. SS was the ultimate premium position, it seems like every one that comes off the board is a lot more valuable than the next one.

Corner outfielders have become an interesting position because teams have begun to really understand the value of defense out there and some of them aren't afraid to put out a light-hitting, good-defense guy who is virtually worthless in fantasy. That leaves the big sluggers with poor defense who remain as even more valuable.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It isn't a strategy problem when your first and fourth picks have much of their seasons ruined by hamstring problems and your second-rounder forgot how to hit a single for most of the second half.

I understand going for position scarcity, but it is most important that you come away from those early rounds with big production.

I also disagree with your theory regarding the first four rounds. Most contenders are going to do fairly well in those rounds. It is the sleepers in the middle and late rounds that can separate you from the pack.

3. outofplace

Sorry for the back-to-back, but I've got a variation on my earlier question.

Pick one of the three in a keeper league: Carlos Quentin, Nelson Cruz or Michael Cuddyer.

Am I the only one thinking Cuddyer's '09 was a fluke? I know he did it once before, but he fell hard last time. Thoughts?

4. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Just out of curiosity, which site runs a better league/format: CBS Sportsline, ESPN, Yahoo or some other site?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I usually go for the best available guy for my first 10 picks or so, with a balance between hitters and pitchers (like 7 hitters and three starting pitchers, or 6 hitters, three starters and a closer). After that, I pick according to filling out positional needs.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Cuddyer's numbers from last year are basically an average fantasy baseball outfielder. .275 average, 20ish home runs. There are dozens of other guys who can give you those numbers and that doesn't even take into account the option of streaming players.

7. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Where do most of you see Jason Heyward and Stephen Strasburg going? I few people I've talked with say they could imagine Strasburg going as early as 13th (round, that is).

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

They're both parked in my minor league system at the moment.

I seem to be about 7th every year in my 14 team league. My minors are super stacked though. We have six slots. I have Heyward, Strasburg, Pedro Alvarez, Neftali Feliz, Weiters (we can leave them in the minors as long as we want, but once they're up in the real world and we move them up, they're up for good, unless of course they get sent back down, thus, I also have Alex Gordon stashed in my minors as well. I also have Tim Beckham and Michael Taylor stashed, though I'll cut them as soon as we have to make our keeper picks. I figure I'll be able to re-draft them somewhat early if I really want them back (thinking I'll bump Gordon back to my real roster and pray yet again that he actually "breaks out")

My regular team sucks. Good pitching, but that's it. A bunch of guys who I've been convinced for three years were "just about to go big", i.e. Stephen Drew, James Loney.

I start reading this thread and skim through, thinking "Jesus, I don't care about these mundane details on other guys' fantasy teams." Then post a whole bunch of shit about my own. Gotta love it.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No way does Strasburg start the season on the ML roster.

If they do, Moddy should be their GM.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He couldn't be any worse than Bowden.

11. outofplace

Can't believe I already have a keeper list due tomorrow. (these guys are sick in the head). I'm really stuck on my last guy. Options are Carlos Quentin, Asdrubal Cabrera, Edwin Jackson and Chris Coghlan.

With Coghlan, I would be hoping he adds infielder eligibility. I could use the youth on the infield. Quentin has the biggest upside, but I'm loaded in the outfield. Jackson is the most practical pick because I'm only keeping three other starting pitchers, but I'm far from sold on him. Not great options, but that's what happens in a league with 16 keepers per team.

My other 15 are:
    Joe Mauer
    Lance Berkman
    Michael Young
    Ian Kinsler
    Troy Tulowitzki
    Matt Kemp
    Grady Sizemore
    Carl Crawford
    Manny Ramirez
    B.J. Upton
    Zack Greinke
    Cliff Lee
    Yovani Gallardo
    Jon Broxton
    Joe Nathan

What do y'all think?

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

Not knowing what kind of health Quentin will be in, although I'm sure every spring training story will say he's in the best shape of his career - who isn't going into spring training, according to Local Newspaper Columnist? If he hits .275/.350/.450 with 25ish home runs, you have a slightly above average fantasy outfielder. You can get those stats from streaming guys. I wouldn't get caught up in his insane 2008.

Coghlan is definitely in the outfield until Uggla gets traded, and even then they could move infield guys around to keep him there. I wouldn't bet on him getting put back at second. Might as well take a shot with Jackson, considering the move to the NL and you're only keeping three starters.

Draft saved Draft deleted