1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Fantasy Baseball Running Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

keeper league? No. otherwise it might be worth it.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point, Della. I was assuming Batman was talking about a redraft league. You don't cut Strasburg in a keeper.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh, I wouldn't cut Strasburg if it were a keeper league. I have some sense

Here's my starting pitchers: Tommy Hanson, Matt Cain, Halladay, Jonathan Sanchez, Max Scherzer, Jaime Garcia, Gavin Floyd, Mat Latos and Brett Myers.
    Most of them have been as good or better than Strasburg the past month or six weeks. The ones I might cut right now are Garcia, Myers, Hanson or Sanchez. None of those options are particularly appealing.
    And I don't really have a position player to drop. This league only allows four bench spots and I'm using three of them for pitchers.

4. outofplace

I take it you have explored trading one of them with no luck?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looked at trade possibilities a couple weeks ago, but nobody really matched up with what I need (infielders, mainly). Plus, I'm in first place right now thanks to the surge I've gotten from those pitchers. So I don't really want to help the people nipping at my heels, and I think the bottom half of the league has mostly lost interest.

6. outofplace

October means playoffs to normal baseball fans, but it means keeper trading season for us fantasy addicts.

I'm in a 10-team mixed league. Each team can protect 14 players. I have some options at second base and I am growing concerned by Chase Utley's injuries over the last few seasons, so I put him on the trading block.

Best offer so far. Adam Wainwright for Utley and a 7th-round pick (the equivalent of a 21st rounder in a redraft league).

My starting pitching is VERY thin right now and we have seven active each week, so adding a stud like Wainwright would be huge. I am concerned that he ended the season with a sore elbow and he is 29 years old.

So, am I giving up too much? Or bailing on Utley at the right time?

Here's my keeper list as it stands right now.

Joe Mauer
    Miguel Cabrera
    Pedro Alvarez
    Kendry Morales
    Chase Utley
    Martin Prado
    Troy Tulowitzki
    Hunter Pence
    Felix Hernandez
    Joakim Soria
    Zack Greinke
    Wandy Rodriguez
    R.A. Dickey
    Dan Bard

I have some other options, but that's what I'd do as of today. If I get Wainwright, I probably cut Bard or Dickey and keep Kelly Johnson or Aramis Ramirez instead.

Thoughts?

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why would you cut Bard? And I wouldn't give up on Utley yet, but I can see your side.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, cut Dickey. Knuckleballers are wildly unpredictable from year-to-year (if not start-to-start) and will kill your WHIP even when they're good.

9. outofplace

Relief pitchers tend to be greatly undervalued in this league and Bard might not even close for Boston. Most likely, I would cut Dickey, though.

It's not like I'm giving up on Utley competely. Wainwright is an elite starter. Still, I'm kinda torn on this one.

10. outofplace

Got another one. Hanley Ramirez and Nick Markakis (who had a really crappy year) for Troy Tulowitzki. I do need the speed, but I really hate Hanley's career trends.

Man, I hate the idea of trading both Utley and Tulowitzki, but these deals are tempting.

Draft saved Draft deleted