1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Fantasy Baseball Running Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jan 25, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know it's only January, but I can't be the only one with keeper lists due two weeks from now, can I?

Who would you rather have in a keeper league, Carlos Quentin or Nelson Cruz?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Cruz, as much as I hate to say it. Quentin is better if he can stay healthy, but he hasn't proven that yet.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Two weeks from now? Your co-owners know the season begins in April, right?

I would disagree with Jake and go with Quentin. Cruz strikes me as a one-year wonder. Quentin, if he's healthy, is an MVP candidate, and two years younger as well. Granted, him remaining healthy is a big if and you might want to go with the relatively safe choice. But Cruz broke out at 29 last year and had a horrible K/BB ratio. He's going to go way too high in drafts this year.

4. outofplace

I'm in three keepers and the ALL have cuts by Feb. 15. I never quite understood why, but they do.

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

What site does everyone use for their leagues? I've pretty much always stuck to Yahoo, but never bothered to check out others. Anyone around here play Scoresheet?

6. outofplace

I've never used scoresheet. I have used STATS.com, which I didn't like at all. I have used Yahoo!, but only for free leagues. You give up a little control, but if you want a service for free, that's the way to go.

All of my leagues are on CBS.Sportsline. Two of those, simply because the commissioners chose it and I'm used to it. The third, I pushed for it because we've got at least three owners who have their heads up their asses at all times and they need a website that helps with player evaluations and comparisons.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Their heads are better off up their asses. Sportsline's advice is the worst thing I've ever read. My six-year-old nephew could do better.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My 12-team, NL-only, keeper, money, auction league is very late with it. Props to the guy who does it in DC, but we don't need to have the lists in until early March. We do the auction the Sunday before the season opens (or the day it "opens" for ESPN).

Right now I have Uggla, Prince, Rasmus, Fowler, Kershaw as no brain keeps and a few (Pagan, Wolf, Yaddy Molina, Iannetta, Wolf, Kawakami, Freddy Sanchez, Cordero, Winn) who could be kept because they are a good value.

Drew, Rowland, Church, Wright, Holliday will be dropped because they are overpriced.

It's a hell of a league.

Alonso, Parker, Walker and Alderson are all waiting in the minors.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'd keep Iannetta over Uggla, 93.

Yeah, the latter will hit some homers/knock in runs, but good hitting catchers are hard to find.

10. outofplace

Only one problem. Iannetta isn't a good catcher. He showed some real promise in '08, but went right back to being a big disappointment in '09. Failed catching prospects are a Rockies' tradition.

11. outofplace

True, but you can always read it and do the opposite.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Good points .... I'm just not an Uggla fan.

Other than batting average, Iannetta wasn't bad when he played last season (16 HR in fewer than 300 at-bats, .804 OPS). That's not a problem anymore, since the Rockies let Torrealba go. I dunno, he seems like a great bounce-back candidate in 2010.

Draft saved Draft deleted