1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 College hoop coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 7, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Loks like there's now an opening at Louisiana-Lafayette too.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about Keno Davis at Providence except that it looks as if he spent three minutes this year on defensive strategies, which showed by the team's defensive ranking of 333rd. He's clearly out of his league.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking of DePaul, saw this line in the Trib in a column about Jerry Wainwright and laughed my ass off.

After he was let go in January his wife suggested they get away for a few days to "decompress."

"She said she wanted to go someplace she never has been, so I suggested the kitchen,''

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Henny Youngman joke.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

That freaking joke is older than me!

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Corliss Williamson hired as head coach of men's basketball at the University of Central Arkansas. UCA will be eligible for postseason play for the first time next season.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-centralarkansas-williamson&prov=ap&type=lgns

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, haven't heard that name in a long time. Didn't realize he had gone into coaching.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'm an alum of Central Arkansas and question the hire. They kinda fucked the old coach over. The former coach was a pretty successful D-II coach hired 2 or 3 years prior to UCA's move to DI. The coach took em to their first ever D-II playoffs, then, as can be expected, didn't have much success in the four transition years. They fired him right before they become eligible for the NCAA tournament.

Now, they've hired a guy that will undoubtedly fire the fans up. Corliss' experience is one year as head coach of a juco team. Does a multi millionaire with little experience coaching really have the desire to bust his ass at a job where the team has an 8-12 hour bus ride home immediately after an away game?

For some reason, I'm hoping this isn't a Clyde Drexler at UH situation.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lebo out at Auburn? Can't find link but I understand it is reported somewhere

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

They had a graphic up and talked about it during the SEC tournament broadcast. I believe they cited a report from a newspaper in Alabama, IIRC. It's really one of the few times no one really argued for the coach being given more time. All three of the guys doing the pre-game show just kinda shrugged and said "Jeff Lebo is a nice guy that ran a clean program, but he just didn't get it done." Seems like there is always one person that argues in favor of giving the coach more time.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Usually that one person - arguing for giving a coach more time - is professional suck-up Duke Vitale -- who thinks every coach in America is tremendous, awesome baby.....

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Will he bring "40 minutes of hell" defense with him?

Draft saved Draft deleted