1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 College hoop coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 7, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rumor/report out of Eugene that Ernie Kent is out at Oregon, leaving as the program's all-time winningest coach.
    Why do I not envy the guy who replaces him?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw where Mack McCarthy is "moving into administration" at East Carolina. What's up with that? I thought he was doing OK there, at least in a relative sense.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not really. There has been some heat on him in Greenville. No telling how impatient Terry Holland is getting there.

Dumped Bill Herrion, then Ricky Stokes, now Mack McCarthy. ECU has been a revolving door for a long time.

4. Moderator1

Terry has to be smart enough to realize what a task that is there - two years for Stokes and then three for McCarthy?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You would think so. Does he really think a Ralph Sampson is coming to Greenville?

Not only is it a permanent uphill climb because of reputation, but ECU also hasn't spent a fraction of the money on basketball as it has on football (see also: Massive improvements to Ficklen, not so much in Minges and paying Skip Holtz a truckload of money, not so much for basketball staff). Never mind that the Pirates have wanted to show they're on par with the ACC schools in the state.

Beating N.C. State is a move in the right direction. But it doesn't mean the ship is sailing on the right path.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I hope Norm Roberts' time to jump off this carousel has come.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why? He's doing a great job considering he is right in the middle of the one of the most talent-rich basketball areas on the planet, has perhaps the greatest arena of all-time to sell as a part-time home court, is in the greatest basketball conference and thus gets to compete against top teams every year --

I mean, under those conditions, what do you expect him to do, have a winning record or something? :D

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I shit you not, I'm hearing Ritchie McKay as a candidate for this one. The same McKay who was going to stay at Liberty forever because God called him there. And the same McKay who of course left two years later (that's the usual shelf life of a McKay tenure) for the once in a lifetime opportunity to work with a good friend in Tony Bennett.

9. Moderator1

Lots of people say that about Liberty - until they realize God's fucking with them!
    Two years would be about right at ECU. That's what Stokes got. McCarty got three. Been a graveyard for about a million years yet you need to go in there and turn it around right away.
    Yeah, righht.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

An unusual move on the assistant side: Tom Crean fires big-man assistant Roshown McLeod, effective immediately. What's up with that?

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Indiana's big men sucked?

Well, that, and Crean's kind of a douche?

12. Moderator1

Goodman just tweeted that Joe Dooley has been offered ECU. Interesting. He was head coach there in the 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted