1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Baseball Thread No. 2 (which was my Little League number!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Et tu, Mexicutioner? Por que?

2. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

The Braves are almost literally unwatchable. With Heyward out of the lineup with a strained groin, they are actually unwatchable. Turns out he got the only two RBIs tonight with a bases-loaded single. Then was pinch-run for. Braves proceeded to ground into inning-ending double plays with runners on third each of the next two innings to lose. God, they suck.
    I just hope it doesn't rub off on Heyward, who now has 26 RBIs on the season despite batting (mainly) seventh in the worst lineup in the NL.

3. Heyward was bound to get injured with all of those fans trying to give the man brain at the same time, ya dig?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was ugly. He had a run like this early last season, too, before he missed some time. I just didn't understand why the brought him in at that point. Tejada cruised through five batters on only 14 pitches. Why not let him finish the 8th?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've pretty much forgiven him already. He makes more plays than he blows. You just have to live with his now-and-then throwing problems.
    Zimmerman is Moylan's nightmare. My son is a little miffed that Bobby Cocks had Moylan out there.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Most likely because Trey Hillman is used to watching everybody not named Soria throw glorified batting practice. Soria's been asked to get four outs quite frequently, and he's usually up to the task. Guy is allowed to blow a couple, I suppose, but last night's was one he really couldnt afford to, considering the Royals actually showed some chutzpha at the plate for once.

Tejada's been really good in his last couple outings. He needed less than 30 pitches to go three scoreless against the Rays last week. Rest assured that if there's a way to screw things up, the Royals will find it.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I am told there will be a rain/snow mix in the Twin Cities today. First rainout possible.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

GM Jack Zduriencik was practically elevated to genius status in the off-season for emphasizing defense and the M's became a popular pick in the AL West among all the "smart" guys. Does anyone else think the club should have spent a little more time building an offense considering the club has league lows with a .302 on-base average, .321 slugging average and just 10 home runs thus far?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Pitching and defense win championships, sure. But not if you don't score runs as well!

10. cranberry

Exactly. It seems like the Mariners tried to get ahead of the curve based on an unproven adage. Just a thought but maybe a BALANCE of pitching, defense and offense is the mark of a great team. I'm all for having great athleticism, speed, pitching and defense but you can't ignore the part where your club is supposed to score more runs than the other team, too.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Let's wait and see how it plays out, we're only 28 games in. I'm not a huge Chone Figgens or Casey Kotchman fan, but I doubt they'll each be hitting around .210 at the end of the season.

Then again, if we're taking the standings at this point, Billy Beane is a genius again :)

12. cranberry

Their offense couldn't get much worse (hello, Houston), so, sure, it's going to get better. But it isn't going to get into the AL West race without some solid reinforcements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.