1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Baseball Thread No. 2 (which was my Little League number!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Braves-Brewers game has the potential for a benches clearing. Venters threw one over Fielder's head, got a warning, then hit him in the back. Venters and Cox were ejected. Next hitter hits into a double play, and Fielder went out of the baseline and kicked out his legs to take out Alex Gonzalez.

There's a little history here ... Braun got plunked when Atlanta played in Milwaukee earlier this year, and apparently there was some bad blood stemming from that.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Venters just became my favorite Brave - I thought the warning was a bit weak but whatever, that he came back and drilled him makes him aces in my book. I just offered My Son the Braves Fan a trade of Strasburg straight up for Venters.

He said no. Not any more. Venters is the man.

A little disappointed Milwaukee hasn't thrown at anyone yet here in the last of the eighth.

3. novelist_wannabe

Simpson was just talking about a riff the Giants had with Fielder after he hit a walk-off homer against them and then all the Brewers fell out as he crossed home plate. Helluva a hitter, but the more I see of him the more bush-league I think he is. Plus, his agent is Scott Boras, one more reason to dislike him.

4. novelist_wannabe

This Axford is a lanky drink o' water

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The anti-Prince. He could fit into one of Fielder's pants legs.

6. novelist_wannabe

Well, with a three-run lead in the ninth, I'm not looking for a brawl tonight. Tomorrow, however, is another story.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Justin Smoak has a homer and a double for Seattle. His solo shot brought them back within 6-5 of the Orange County Wannabes.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mike Napoli, who can't seem to play everyday even though he is tied for the team lead in HRs, homers tonight and Kevin Frandsen. splitting time with .021-hitting Brandon Wood, has two RBI as the Angels edge the Mariners by one run. Thank God Supergenius Scioscia is so smart.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I don't have the time or the desire to look up all the specifics, but:
    -- Napoli has started almost every game since Mathis was hurt 2-3 weeks into the season. He became the starting catcher at that time, then the starting first baseman when Morales was hurt. He has started 11 of the 14 games this month. Tonight, he started at catcher.
    -- Wood played in 10 games in June and six of the 14 games this month. He isn't splitting time. He started at third tonight, Fransen played first and Napoli caught. Fransen is the starter at third.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tonight marked the third time in six games Napoli has started. He ranks sixth on the team in ABs but tied for first in HRs. Why is he not playing everyday? Because Paul McAnulty needs ABs?

I'm aware Wood played tonight. Why, I'm not really sure. He's now 2-for-20 with 7 Ks this month. Frandsen was terrible prior to the ASB (1-for-27 in July) but he's got 11 doubles, eight BBs and just six Ks in 129 ABs. Wood, famed for minor league power at high altitudes, has four XBH, 53 Ks and four BBs in 173 ABs. In 397 career ABs, he has 17 XBH, 11 BB and 126 Ks. I'm sure he'll break out soon, though.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Napoli was slumping like just about the whole team the past couple of weeks. He had some really bad at-bats, some giveaway at-bats, popping up on bad pitches when ahead in the count. He has never been a full-time player. Who knows if he can handle it long term.
    They brought up McAnulty and Aldridge and gave them some ABs. McAnulty is just a fat guy who I doubt will pan out. Aldridge, I have no idea.
    Fransen went into the tank. Wood has been in the tank all season. Izturis is hurt (may be back Tuesday). Those are the third basemen.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They'll flip the switch and catch Texas soon enough. Only question is whether they'll do it before August or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.