1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Baseball Thread #3: Harold Baines would like a word

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JakeandElwood, Jul 18, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Exactly what I figured would happen: We spend all weekend coming up with kick-ass tiebreaker scenarios, get to within one game of all of it happening ... and the season ends when the season was scheduled to end.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Have four playoff-bound teams ever finished a season playing like such a collective pile of dogshit as the Yankees, Rays, Rangers and Twins?

I wish one of them would have said, fuck rest, we're trying to win every game we play the rest of the way and come into the playoffs sharp. My guess is that team would have swept its way to the World Series.

As it is, the first three games of each series are probably going to be a continuation of the dogshit play as these "rested" players try to get their timing and edge back.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Back in March I made a drunkenly fueled bet with a friend of mine that the Nationals wouldn't win 70 games this year. He said they would, so that spawned an over/under of 69.5 wins. Winner gets to drink for free at our neighborhood watering hole. The Nationals finished with 69 wins. At least the Nationals made it a fun final week for someone.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Resting players is not the Yankees problem. Pitching, other than CC, is a huge problem.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Their biggest problem is the jerk in the manager's office, who choked the life out of this team with his micro-managing, we're-resting-no-we're-not bullshit the last month. I'd say the Twins will cruise, but they have no reliable pitchers.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They also have a mental block when it comes to the Yankees, as do the Rangers. Might be the biggest thing in the Yankees' favor right now.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The Pirates were a pretty bad road team this year. Per the AP:

Pittsburgh finished 17-64 away from home, matching the 1963 New York Mets for the worst road record in a 162-game season. The Pirates tied for the second-most away losses by any major league team since 1900, according to STATS LLC. The only worse road team than Pittsburgh in the modern era: the 1935 Boston Braves.

Jesus.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not even the whole pitching. The starting pitching.

The bullpen's actually been pretty good for the last 2 months, although Rivera has looked human on occasion.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Almost a third of those wins were at Wrigley Field. They were 5-4 against the Cubs in Chicago.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Moddy just went Bluto Blutarsky on a fifth of JD and doesn't know why.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree, spnited, the idea is usually to begin peaking as the playoffs arrive, to be on an upswing. With all the rest these four AL teams have been giving their players, they've all played like shit and now must go "switch" back into cutthroat mode. Some teams are better at that sort of thing than others. We'll see who does it best with this crowd.

The Rangers and Twins wrapped up their divisions early, so it's no surprise to see them rest. But for teams like the Yankees and Rays, I think it would have been beneficial to get into "playoff mode" early, get primed and get used to playing with something on the line. Especially the Yankees, who are significantly better at home this season, I would think getting home field would have been motivation enough.

I'm not expecting them to blow out pitchers' arms in pursuit of the division title, but playing with a little urgency would have been beneficial I believe.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the great Joba has pretty much sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted