1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Baseball Thread #3: Harold Baines would like a word

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JakeandElwood, Jul 18, 2010.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

White Sox have dropped two of three from the Twinkies in Minnesota despite there being a nice, normal stadium there now and looking to salvage a split and keep the division lead.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Sox have the Indians to thank for being able to keep the division lead. (Or, more aptly, the Tigers refuse to hit against a AAA team).

They are like 16-30 on the road now. And something like 3-for-30 with RISP this series against the Injuns.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Kind of, Hank. The Sox's complete ineptitude against the Indians was one of the reasons for their horrid start.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure if it made it onto the old thread or not, but baseball players haven't exactly earned their reputation as the toughest guys around this week.
    San Diego's Mat Latos went on the DL with a side strain after he tried to hold in a sneeze:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100715&content_id=12271424&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Seattle's Russell Branyan missed a couple days with a toe injury. He tried to open the curtains in his hotel room, tripped over a table and had it fall on his foot. From The Seattle Times:
    And then yesterday, pissed-off A.J. Burnett stormed into the Yankees' clubhouse, shoved a door with a couple of plexiglass lineup holders, and cut both palms. He's not expected to miss a start, at least as of right now.
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2010/07/post_19.html

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Harold Baines was my first favorite player. I'll never forget going to the Kingdome with my dad and getting his autograph ---- on a photo of him that I'd cut out of the Chicago Tribune.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

These guys ain't hockey players, that's for sure.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Padres needed an excuse to baby Latos and limit his innings (b/c his arm will fall off if he throws 200 innings this year). And I'll bet you anything there's a lot more to Branyan's injury than a fallen table.

As for Burnett, his dumbassery is well-established. Hope he can still fling pies in guys' faces.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Harold Baines: HOFer or no? ;D

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like the Rangers will take 3-of-4 in Beantown. Lester is currently taking one for the team.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Or, for that matter, chess players.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Shocker. Carlos Quentin has hurt himself again.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're lying. I know it.

Draft saved Draft deleted