1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Baseball Running Thread, Part 1: Oh.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sucks to be you, Jack Cust. If you'd been born a few years earlier, you could have got your big payday when some teams were ignoring defense.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just found out game is on Yes. Thought it was on ESPN

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not completely true. You're forgetting the "Hit Show".

The Devil Rays signed Greg Vaugh and put him in a lineup with Vinny Castilla, Fred McGriff, & Jose Canseco.

They also blew money on Kevin Stocker and Gerald Williams.

And Wilson Alverez won 17 games over 5 years.

So they spent some money in the beginning, they just didn't spend it as well as the D-Backs.

When I went there in 2005, they were still paying off a bunch of old contracts just like the D-Backs are now.

They constantly used that as an excuse for not spending more on payroll. By that time, they had also run off most of their corporate support, much of their fan support, and a lot of the media attention.

4. YankeeFan

It's a joke that this game is on ESPN2, while women's college basketball is on ESPN.

I'm not sure how big the difference in distribution is at this point, but MLB should be embarrassed.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Joe f-ing Morgan in midseason. Rodriguez "has an outside chance to pass I guess to pass HANK AARON for all-time (home run) lead)."

6. YankeeFan

I hate Joe Morgan -- hate him -- but it took me a few seconds after reading your post to understand what was wrong with it.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some would argue he's correct. (The MLB record, of course. Let's not forget Sadaharu.)

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Rays have been producing talent out the ass for three years, allowing them to part with players like Kazmir and Jackson. More than they know what to do with and more on the way. They have a sustainable foundation and an exciting core in the toughest division.

Baseball is a game that often rewards patience.

It took one inning to hit mute and think about YES. Not even the absence of Phillips makes Morgan better.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In NY ESPN 2 is running McNabb story. YES has Red Sox / Yankee game - thankfully so I don't have to hear Morgan.

Does seem odd that this game is not national.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

My team is going to suck (again), but I'm freaking pumped for tomorrow.

Not sure if this is normal or not.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's great. And if they hang on to that talent.. and the cards fall right.. they may have a shot at the World Series.

The Diamondbacks already won one. Baseball is also a game that often rewards going for it.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Remember how I talked up the Nats as a deep, deep long-shot sleeper team?

Sorry, I got nothing on the Pirates. They are going to be awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.