1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010/2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Re: 2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Ted Nugent should be in too.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How is my month ruined? All this does is continue my complete lack of interest in ever going there. Hell I won just one some baseball league you got your ass kicked in. I'm quite happy. :)

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You can't fool me fucker!!!

PS: Browns suck.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You suck.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hey, hey, hey. No need to drag IJAG into this.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm disgusted by some who get in and a lot who haven't gotten in. But it didn't detract from enjoying the experience of the HOF for me. Is it a tad hokey and antithetical to the notion of rock n' roll? Sure. Does Abba getting in suck? Yep. But when you sit down and watch an hour and a half long line-up of every artist in there, you re-appreciate the genre and the music in a new way.

It's not a mecca of rock or anything, but it made me realize that what's hokey about it now will be vitally instructional for the future. We're only a perhaps 25-30 years away from what we understand as traditional rock n'roll being wiped from the collective memory of the general population.

I'm 26 years old and even something as timeless as Buddy Holly's "Everyday" is foreign to people my age. I've had four people ask me who sings the song in the last month since it has appeared in two major advertising campaigns for The History Channel and Macy's.

Some of that forgotten knowledge is good as new forms of the art are discovered. But the roots of the sound, the feeling, the movement need to be catalogued in a boring, hokey way for them to exist decades from now.

The biggest problem I had with the HOF was the pure, unabashed ignorance of people who go to the hall. I had a ~20 year old say right behind me he didn't know who Jimi Hendrix was...and casually walk by his exhibit.

As if NOT knowing who he was served as a badge of honor. Heaven forbid these hipsters suspend their manufactured malaise for a second to take something in.

I don't look at the Rock Hall as an important place right now. But it will be in 150 years when people are trying to understand us and just how transformational rock n' roll was as a social and musical experiment in the latter part of the 20th Century.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Still waiting for the day when Scritti Politti gets the call.

That tattoo on my ass cheek will finally be justified.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes, this "Hall of Fame" let Genesis in. Congratulations to the guys and for this "Hall" for getting something right.

But no Rush? Failure.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You're all a buncha haters!

I'm reporting this thread to Mr. Wenner.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Alice Cooper - Yes. Should have been in 10 years ago.
    Beastie Boys - Yes. Yeah, they're rappers, but their rap has always been rock-based.
    Bon Jovi - Borderline.
    Chic - No. Not R&R by ANY definition.
    Neil Diamond - Yes. Gets in on dual basis as a writer and performer. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been in for 20 years.
    Donovan - No. He wasn't the junior varsity Dylan, he was the 6th grade B-team Dylan.
    Dr. John - Yes. Incredibly influential.
    J. Geils Band - Yes. In the mid-70s, the question of who was the best live act on the East Coast came down to Geils and the E Street Band.
    LL Cool J - No. Not rock.
    Darlene Love - IMO no, but she will get in as a Wenner favorite. Sixties doo-wop and girl groups are probably the most overrepresented group in the Hall. Plus Bruce shouted out for her on stage, that'll get her in.
    Laura Nyro - Probably ditto.
    Donna Summer - Yes. After her disco success, 'Bad Girls' was a great rock album.
    Joe Tex - See Love and Nyro. After the doo-woppers, Sixties soul-blues-funksters are way overrepresented. It's great music but it's not really rock.
    Tom Waits - No. He's great at what he does, but what he does is not rock.
    Chuck Willis - He'll get in as a 'pioneer influence.'

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Imagine how I feel about my Sly Fox dick tattoo.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/300607/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-will-elude-kiss-for-11th-straight-year/

Draft saved Draft deleted