1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010/2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Is Manilow in yet?

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Some interesting points on this thread, re: the 2011 nominations.

1. No doubt Guns n Roses gets in, and well-deserved. Appetite for Destruction is the best hard rock album of the 1980s, and there's some great songs scattered among GNR Lies and Use Your Illusion I and II, too.

2. Future picks. The 1990s will be real hard to judge, and then the 2000s virtually impossible ... and I'm not just saying that because I'm quickly becoming an old fogie.

Is "rock" even a viable genre anymore, as far as the new standards of measuring popularity goes? To this point, all the bands in the HOF have been judged by albums sold/radio airplay, influence on future acts and longevity. It could be argued that none of those criteria are valid for new artists today.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

We're working on it:

[​IMG]

I love the ABBA Jiffy Pop look. I wonder who their stylist was?

And I'm still pissed about the chili deal a couple of pages back.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They can nominate Joan Jett and Donovan but can't nominate Cheap Trick, The Cars, Little Feat and Wolfman Jack (who should have gone in on day one)?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Where the fuck is Kiss?

It oughta be the Hall of Make Me Change The Radio

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

KISS and Rush (shaddup!) would be the two most notable exclusions for this kid. I thought Alice Cooper's induction (again, should have happened years ago) would have paved the way for them.

And still no love for Deep Purple, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or Ted Nugent. There's no way lightweights like Def Leppard should ever get in - or even nominated - ahead of any of those guys.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and how about a little love for the J. Geils Band? They certainly deserve to be on the ballot ahead of most of this year's nominees and if they ever got in Peter Wolf's speech would be awesome.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Huggy, my brotha, all those names you bring up and no Ian/Mott???

Very disappointed. :mad:

9. Some might say it would be Light's Out!

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Their nomination must have got lost.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Have The Replacements ever been on that list? If not, list is crap. I'm just wondering is the Pixies will get in on the first ballot. You can't shake a stick today without finding a band that was influenced by them.

Bon Jovi will get in, because popular schlock wins out a lot of the time.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Young Rascals/Rascals got in.

Neil Diamond should definitely be in. He wrote so many great songs.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The Cure will make it because they had some chart success and are very influential on a lot of bands.

GnR and Beasties should make it. Other than that, it's a toss up. I think it takes more than just a few singles to get in.

Draft saved Draft deleted