1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010/2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Re: 2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Jann and friends (and OK, people like myself) hope the party leads to a reunion.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Knowing the rock hall's luck, someone will die before they make it to that stage (Ramones, Clash).

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My opinion/my prediction:

· Beastie Boys - Yes/Yes

· The Cure - No/Yes

· Donovan - No/No

· Eric B. & Rakim - No/Yes

· Guns 'N Roses - Yes/ Yes

· Heart - Yes/No

· Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - Yes/Yes

· Freddie King - No/Yes

· Laura Nyro - No/Yes

· Red Hot Chili Peppers - Yes/Yes

· Rufus with Chaka Khan - No/No

· The Small Faces/The Faces - Yes/Yes (Had two separate careers, each about 3/4 of a HOF career)

· The Spinners - No/Yes

· Donna Summer - No/Yes

· War - No/No

The RNRHOF has always wildly overrepresented R&B bluesmen and 60s/70s songwriters, so King and Nyro will be in.

And dumped on 70s rock so Heart won't make it.

Although in the interest of amping up a female-heavy jam session, I wouldn't be surprised to see Heart, Jett, Nyro and Summer all get in, maybe even Rufus.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've actually been thinking about the Rock Hall lately, for reasons that are beyond me, so I'll go off on a dissertation -- and out of character, make a moderately pro-Rush argument -- after the obligatory run-through:

· Beastie Boys - No. Not now, anyway. Better have more black hip-hop acts before you throw these guys in there.
    · The Cure - Yes. Unenthusiastically.
    · Donovan - Oh, HELL no.
    · Eric B. & Rakim - Seriously? No.
    · Guns 'N Roses - Yes. The one no-brainer on the list.
    · Heart - I so don't give a shit. Sure. Whatever.
    · Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - WTF? No. The Runaways have a better case.
    · Freddie King - No idea. Not my area of expertise. My guess is he goes in.
    · Laura Nyro - Is someone just making a Jann Wenner joke here? Please. NO.
    · Red Hot Chili Peppers - Yeah, sure.
    · Rufus with Chaka Khan - No.
    · The Small Faces/The Faces - I'll say yes -- love the Faces, who are badly underrated. Credentials are marginal.
    · The Spinners - Like the Spinners well enough, but really? No.
    · Donna Summer - One of the biggest names of the disco era, but it was a producer-driven medium. No.
    · War - "Low Rider" is almost good enough on its own... but no.

-----

And now for the dissertation...

Long term the future is pretty bleak for the Hall. There are 5 inductees each year, eligible after 25 years. That means there are roughly 125 artists out there right now who will go in sometime in the next 25 years.

So, who is a slam dunk who is not yet eligible? Nirvana. Pearl Jam. Probably Radiohead, Green Day and Wilco.

Beyond that? Beats the hell out of me. That leaves 120 spots.

For all the whining about the bands that aren't there ("Blah blah Rush blah blah Wenner blah blah jizz wah wah wah"), if you look at the people who are in, it's a pretty decent list. There aren't a lot of glaring omissions. To me the greatest oversight is probably Dick Dale.. and if that's the biggest oversight, they've done OK.

Now, look at who is out but eligible. People complain about Rush. I think Cheap Trick ought to be in. For the sake of this argument I think they're close to interchangeable. Bottom line: this is a Burt Blyleven argument. To suggest the hall is some kind of sham because either is not in is asinine. It's like going to Cooperstown and shouting "Where the fuck is Frank Tanana!?!"

But having said that... who the hell else are they going to put in over the next several years? You're going to hit the point where Rush is on the ballot with Falco, Ace of Base and Dokken. They're gonna get in. I think the Smiths should be in. They haven't been nominated, but I bet they're elected in the next decade.

The hall has three choices in the future: go heavy with hip-hop, pretend not-yet-eligible shit like Creed is hall-worthy, or fill it with already-eligible bands that haven't gotten a sniff yet. I'd bet heavily on option 3.

5. Starman

Yeah, there are gonna be a lot of "veteran's committee" inductees over the next 10-20 years.

With the decline of the album as the standard artistic unit in r&r, fewer and fewer artists have put together "careers" meriting selection.

So, on this year's list, the Cure, the Faces/Small Faces. Donna Summer and War will eventually make it.

At some point, Donovan will be a "Rabbit Maranville" choice and probably make it too.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No Zevon.

fotf suicide watch continues for another year.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think Jett deserves to get in, but she's sort of been a music industry outsider for a long time now. Not sure how those years of playing county fairs and not releasing a damn thing will play.

8. Starman

Zevon is a prime candidate for "veteran's committee" selection some year in the mid-late teens when the wellspring of fresh candidates dries up.

After the early Nineties grunge generation passes through the eligibility window, it's gonna be pretty slim pickin's for a decade or so.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never understood the criteria. Popularity? Record sales? Influence? Longevity?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

It all boils down to whether or not Jann Wenner is a fan.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know, it's an interesting question. After the Jann Wenners, Irving Azoffs, Russell Simmons, Clive Davises and Quincy Jones aren't around you really wonder who will be able to command respect from both musicians and the business people.
    These guys have owned a big chunk of the music real estate for 30, 40 and 50 years

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why are the Small Faces and Faces grouped? I know there's a ton of overlap in personnel, but they were basically two totally different bands even taking that into consideration.

There's virtually nothing about Ogden's Nut Gone Flake that bears much of any similarity to A Nod Is As Good As Wink, though both are damn great albums.

I love them both, I think the Small Faces are wildly underappreciated here in the U.S., and I'd love to see them go in on their own merits.

Its just weird how they grouped them. Why not the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin too?

Draft saved Draft deleted