1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010-2011 NHL season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Yeah, when you put it that way I guess you're right. I just can't wait for the season to start. It seems like it's been forever since Kane scored that goal to win the Stanley Cup.

Here's a few more questions for you..

Just curious to know why you're so high on Tukka? I know he had a great season in 2009-10, but predicting him to win the Vezina is a huge reach. Don't get me wrong, I love his game and he's definitely one of the best young goalies in the league, but with goalies like Miller, Brodeur, Luongo I don't see how he can stand a chance.

I know the Blackhawks have a great defense, but do you believe Turco can be good enough to lead them far? I know Niemi wasn't the guy who led them to the Cup last season, but he was really strong when he needed to be(for the most part)

You don't believe Steve Mason can have a rebound year?

You don't have confidence in Halak leading this team like he did with the Habs last year? They have Erik Johnson as a stud defenseman, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pietrangelo and Cole make the team.

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Speaking of airheads - Kabanov was kept off the ice today because he was late for his physical.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One of the big problems Rask will run into is the PR game, but if he leads Boston to a huge year, with it being Boston I think he can crack into the race, hell Tim Thomas managed to do it two seasons ago. There are also enough people questioning the games of Luongo and Brodeur right now that I think it opens the door for a guy like Rask if they don't return to form. On that Bruins team Rask will have every opportunity to prove he is worthy of being considered an elite goalie. I was actually split between Pekka Rinne and Rask for the Vezina, but being in Nashville will really hurt Rinne's chances. I don't think being in Nashville will effect a guy like Webber as much because he has been around long enough and has already started to create a name for himself as one of the elite defencemen in the game.

I'm not a huge Turco fan, but it will be a lot like last year in Chicago where they just need a guy who won't lose them games. His ability to steal a pile of games at this point in his career -- like he used to do -- no longer exists, he'll win you the odd one, but don't count on him to shut down San Jose for a series. I have no idea if they will win the Cup, but they have too much on their roster to just fade to the back. A step back this year is definitely possible, but I think they can still win the division.

Steve Mason can have a rebound year, but their problems are so widespread, I'm not counting out his ability to get back to his rookie form, I'm just not counting on him getting all the way there. Plus they will be in full adapt mode in playing for their third coach inside of a year. Their biggest issue as forever has been is to find a centre who can play with Nash and they did nothing to adress that issue this year, at least they made attempts in previous seasons. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will look great centring the top unit in a year or two.

It's not that I don't have confidence in Halak, I actually like Halak a lot more than Carey Price and think the Canadiens made the mistake in going with Price over Halak -- been a fan of his ever since he started coming up with the Habs and last year he proved what he was capapble of if given the starter's job. Yes Price is younger, but it's not like Halak is over the hill, he is just 25. Putting St. Louis second last in their division is more of a case that the three teams ahead of them are just that much better. Also while their defence is pretty good with some nice pieces in place, they need some help up front to compete with the Chicagos and Detroits on a nightly basis, and losing Paul Kariya (who played 75 games last year) and Kieth Tkachuk (who picked a good time to retire) certainly didn't help things even if they were no longer the players they once were. I love the way T.J. Oshie plays, but they have to get far more consistency out of Backes, Boyes, Perron and Steen if they have any hope of the post season. Wouldn't completely count them out, but realistically they are a couple of years away from being ready for prime time.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It is not as simple as choosing Price over Halak, it's Price and the compensation they got from St. Louis over Halak.

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Eller is currently the second best prospect out of Montreal(after PK) He's a good player, he really excels at play making and he's a good two-way player. I don't see him being a first line player, but more of a great player on the second line. No expectations on Schultz has of right now, he's a physical player who can score from time to time. I don't see him making the Habs roster for a few years(that's if they don't trade him before that.)

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

They made their decision to go with Price as the main man before shopping Halak.

The thing is, had they decided on Halak it's not like they would have gotten chump change in return for Price. I think there's enough believers out there in Price that they could have got a similar prospect to Eller in return. And I still think they are better off with Halak.

Now if you threw the cap at me as a reason for going with Price over Halak, certainly in the short term they had to go the way they did, but they've sold this mostly as a hockey decision, not a bugetary one.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and again, it is not simply choosing Price over Halak.

Christ, Halak has had one good year and he's talked about as the second coming of Patrick Roy. We have no idea what they could get for Price, we do know what they got for Price, which means it's Price, Eller and Schultz over Halak. And in a cap world, you can never discount the cap implications.

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I'm a huge Habs fan, and I'll be the first one to admit that Halak had a great season last year and his playoff performance was incredible(I refuse to accept when people say he's the only reason why they made it so far.) But when I look at both goalies I just believe that Price will have the better career out of the two when it's all said and done. Price has showed some weakness in recent seasons. He's allowed a lot of soft goals, especially at his glove hand. I believe that he has an incredible work ethic to improve all his faults. He's always the last player to leave practice, and he's always one of the first one there.

One of the biggest problems with Price is his attitude, he needs to grow up and stay away from the party lifestyle. Like I've said in the past at these forums, the Canadiens orginazation did a mistake when they first called up Price and told him to buy a house in Montreal since he was there to stay. They should of gone the Penguins route, and do what they did with Crosby. Koivu should of taken Price under his wing and stay with him like Crosby stayed with Mario Lemieux. I believe that would of made a huge difference. Hopefully he grew up this off-season and only concentrates on Hockey.

Looking at his numbers last season, he wasn't all that bad. He had a save percentage of .912 and his GAA was 2.77. I know he can improve from those numbers, especially his Goals Against Average.

This is a huge season for Price. It's his fourth year with the Canadiens, and he knows that it's his team and he's one of the key players for the Canadiens. Obviously, he'll have tremendous pressure on him which is a shame because he doesn't deserve all of it. All in all, I have faith in Carey and I believe Gauthier made the right decision.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Believe me I'm not writting Price off completely. I think he can have a good career, I;m just not sure it is going to happen in Montreal. For him it's his mental game and with all the outside pressures and temptations in Montreal I think he would have best been served by being traded out of town where he could understudy for a year behind a proven goalie who's on his way out. They actually made the same mistake that Pittsburgh made with Fleury in rushing him a long to quick. Except I like Fleury's mental makeup and character a little better, even when he was younger he came off as a more mature young adult than Price.

10. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

This is why I still have hope, I agree that Price was rushed. He should of played at least one full season in the AHL. I still believe that he can become a good goalie in Montreal. Obviously, it won't be an easy task since we all know the pressure is so high in Montreal, especially for a goalie that is labeled has the next Patrick Roy(when he first came up with the Habs)

If he can put the past behind him and start everything from scratch then I believe he can turn things around. He has to have strong skin, if the fans boo him then he has to ignore them, he can't react like he's done in the past. One of the biggest things he needs to do is control his emotions. I can't wait to see him in training camp and in the pre season, it will be easier for me to give a better judgement.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Time as always in this time of situation, will be the judge.

12. Flash

Flash Active Member

Souray is not welcome at training camp, as per @NHL_Oilers.

Jon Rheault, kid from Texas, was impressive in game against Ducks at Young Stars Tournament. Looking forward to seeing him, Cameron and Backlund at main camp next week. Cameron threw a big hit and took a bit hit. Like what I see. Backlund is a man among boys, although Rheault was the stud tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted