1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Spring Storm Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dargan, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Everyone stay safe out there tonight. I just saw this on APExchange:

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) — Tenn. Emergency Management Agency reports 2 dead, 30 hurt in reported tornado in Murfreesboro.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Jeez. Tennessee takes it on the chin every year, it seems.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes. Stop this shit now, Mother Nature. And a few 70-degree days wouldn't hurt either.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

After Arkansas takes it in the nuts.

http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2009/apr/10/readers-tell-experiences-mena-twister/?subscriber/national

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

TV station has aerial footage of the aftermath ... http://www.kfsm.com/

They're saying it was at least an F3 and it landed a direct hit on the town.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That did more damage on the houses it hit than an ordinary EF3.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Had an interesting afternoon. My town was literally sandwiched between two tornadic storms. We just got a lot of wind and rain though and after the tornadoes to the south died down (and there were actual spotted ones, not just doppler-indicated) I went to sleep. Woke up briefly when a lightning strike shook my apartment enough to move my bed, rolled back over and went back to sleep.

The best part...I was watching the news (where people kept wandering in and out of the radar. Seriously. They'd be showing it and then someone would just like, walk out there, look around, and walk off.) and they were talking to this lady in Eubank, who went into this long description of this tornado with a debris cloud and then, they were like, "So what did it look like?" and after a pause during which I'm sure the lady was thinking what a dumbass the person was, she was like, "it looked like a tornado!"

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Tornado warnings starting to crank up in West Texas and the Panhandle.

Edit: And Eastern New Mexico.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Apparently a tornado hit my town a bit ago. Not really close to our office and only an F-1, but I believe this is the first time in the history of my city a tornado has hit.

Good stuff.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My hometown. Some good friends spent a bad hour huddled in a closet, but the Bad Thing took a right turn about a half-mile from their house.

My tornado experience also took place there about 5 years ago. It was the loudest thing I had ever heard ... and then got louder. At that point, I knew it was time to go get in the tub.

11. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Tornadoes suck. Literally and figuratively.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The Digresses rolled through Murfreesboro about two hours after the twisters hit... we didn't see any actual damage, but I-24 was way backed up because a semi got turned over and the town was a mess with no power anywhere. Scary stuff. Luckily, we were behind those storms as we journeyed and not in the them.

Draft saved Draft deleted