1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 SJ.COM bubble predictions challenge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Mar 15, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I guess we can debate this a bit more when the field is released. St. Mary's comes to mind as one of these teams. They simply never beat Gonzaga.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think he was asking if some of those mid majors could compete in the Big Ten for a full season. Not could they win one game. Huge difference.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Using that logic, we could automatically dismiss half the ACC from any NCAA consideration, since it never, or very rarely, defeats either Duke or Carolina.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But Mason would host Clemson, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Virginia, NC State and the other teams, so I am guessing they would win more than 2-3 games in conference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Miss. State wins = one less spot for the jackasses who didn't take care of business and now are hoping and praying but are likely on the outside looking in.

Let me clue you in -- if you are a coach and have to spend your entire weekend on the phone with ESPN News, ESPN Gameday, ESPN Bracketology shows to make a case for your team to get in, well, you don't deserve to get in.......

Just my two cents.

That being said.....

Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin are the kinds of teams John Feinstein is talking about, though Michigan does have a few good wins. All three will get in.

Penn State should not get in but might.
    San Diego State probably should but won't.

Providence should not get in and won't.
    St. Mary's should get in and will not.

The SEC should only have three teams, Tenn. Miss St. and LSU but Auburn might sneak in.

Dayton will get in and should.
    Arizona should not get in and probably will.

In the grand scheme of things --- does anyone really think any of these teams matter?

6. Why not apply that logic to the Big Ten and ACC?
    UNC didn't win their tourney so they shouldn't get a No. 1 seed?
    Any team can lose a given night ... you the routine.. I would like to see say Buffalo (MAC runner up) or get in over Penn State.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They have no right, purely based on performance. If they get in this year, it's a travesty.

8. I know your not the only one, but wow, someone is biased against the little guy.

I think you can guess my allegiance by my name on here, but I can guarantee Creighton is better then your 7-10 teams, especially if you look at the criteria the committee claims to use (Top 50 RPI wins, Top 100 RPI wins, road record, final 12 games, etc.) Creighton beats all of those teams in most if not all of those categories. They won 26 times and lost 2 games by 2 points each. They have plenty of flaws but have a much better overall body of work then those other squads. (Oh, and not that head-to-head should matter, but they stomped Dayton during the Flyers strong start).

Here is my prediction:

1. Michigan
    2. Dayton
    3. Texas A&M
    4. Minnesota
    5. Maryland
    6. Creighton
    7. Wisconsin
    8. St. Mary's
    9. Penn State
    10. San Diego State

Providence's bubble burst ages ago.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

In order for this to be an apples-to-apples comparison, we need to see Big Ten, ACC, Pac 10, etc. teams playing Butler at Hinkle or Creighton at Qwest. I'll take Jay Bilas seriously when he uses his platform to advocate for that. Until then, he is the Ari Fleischer of the major conference schools.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Maryland did beat Michigan State, Wake Forest and North Carolina this year, triumphs Gary Williams mentions every time he tries to plead the Terps' case.

And the Terps will get in, but I wonder if they are more qualified/talented than some of these mid-majors.

Remember: Maryland lost to Coppin State at home and also lost in God-awful, ugly fashion at Virginia. The Terps also don't play anybody taller than (I think) 6-foot-8, and it's arguably the least talented team Gary's ever had in College Park.

A real head-scratcher as to why everybody loves their resume.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

T-Minus 50 minutes to our annual helping of mid-major tournament butthurt at SJ.

Make the case that the mid-major in question is one of the top 34 non-conference winners in the land. Screaming IT'S NOT FAIR THE LITTLE GUYS MAKE THE TOURNAMENT FUN TEAMS THAT DON'T GO .500 IN THEIR CONFERENCE SHOULDN'T GET IN NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEIR CONFERENCE IS OR WHAT THEY'VE DONE FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON BIG SCHOOLS ARE MEAN I WISH BILLY PACKER WOULD DIE IN THE FACE doesn't do much for me. Except the last part; that'd be funny.

As for my Egads that was close Eight, in no order:
    San Diego State
    Maryland
    Michigan
    Dayton
    Auburn
    Providence
    St. Mary's
    Penn State (beating A&M and Minnesota for the final spot)

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hulk smashes and was pretty spot on with that post.

Draft saved Draft deleted