1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 1, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not only will HBK win the Rumble, but he'll do it from the No. 1 spot. Has that ever been done before?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

HBK did it in 1995, the year that they had every wrestler come out in 1-minute intervals, rather than 2-minute ones (in other words, the Rumble lasted half as long). It was one of the WWE's stupid ideas, which they haven't repeated.

Also, Benoit did it in 2004.

3. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I think KY was typing blue. I hope, anyway... :D

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Well, I'd forgotten about both of those actually. I guess it was my one duh moment of the day. :D

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Coming from No. 1 to win it has happened often enough now that the No. 1 guy is usually on the short list of those you expect to win it.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah. And until Cena, I think no one who got #30 had won the Rumble.

7. Baron Scicluna

Undertaker won it from 30 the year before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rumble

Mysterio won it from No. 2, which is basically the same as winning it from No. 1.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

More sad news, but not for the usual pro wrestling-related reasons.

Steve "Dr. Death" Williams dies at 49 from throat cancer:

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977968981&grpId=3659174697244816&nav=Groupspace

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's a real shame. He fought cancer for a pretty long time, beat it back for a while (I think he might have actually wrestled again, if only briefly), but it wasn't enough. And this is the guy who worked a match hours after receiving 106 stitches for a cut, so you know he wasn't going down easily.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Found this quickie on ESPN.com's Page 2. John Cena is the grand marshal for the Fiesta Bowl parade and will do the coin toss before the game. Story didn't say if Sheamus would run out to the 50-yard line, kick him in the head and flip the coin in his place.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4779136

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I just don't see Hitman wrestling again. I know he's wanted to, and Steve Austin was at one time his hand-picked opponent, but don't forget the guy suffered a stroke after a bicycle wreck and isn't fully functional.

I could see possibly a garbage match with Vince, but I don't see him doing much more than being in the Hart Dynasty's corner.

12. Baron Scicluna

That's too bad. Doc was one of the mainstays of the UWF and NWA in the late 80s.

Unfortunantly, I still remember him hurting his leg and getting clobbered in the 1997 Brawl For It All (another brilliant WWE concept) when everyone thought he would win and get a big push.

Draft saved Draft deleted