1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 1, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I have a feeling Vince will give Bret one more match, likely at WrestleMania 26 in Glendale. It's being said that Bret has expressed interest in working with the Hart Dynasty, too.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've heard Bret's signed through Mania. I imagine it'll be a Vince vs. Bret match. I would say Bret vs. Shawn but I think Hart will be too rusty to make that type of performance worth putting on. Vince vs. Bret, though, would be a street fight much akin to Hogan vs. Vince from WM19. Bret would be able to do that. Well, at least I hope. Last time I saw him (Hall of Fame), he didn't look particularly great.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So maybe we get a six-man tag -- Hart Dynasty and Bret vs. DX and Vince.
    Bret and Vince (and Bret and HBK) can do their thing for a couple minutes, while the tag teams carry the load and put on a decent match.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Bret teaming with the Hart Dynasty makes sense, so the writers will probably fuck it up somehow.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I highly doubt they'll do Bret & HD vs. McMahon & DX. With all the hype of a Michaels vs. Taker match (And with Cena apparently hanging into an extended feud with Sheamus there really is no main event caliber guy for Taker), I just don't see them tying up three potential main eventers (HHH, HBK, McMahon) in one match.

That and I can't see them pushing the Hart Dynasty like that. Not yet. Kidd is a great talent in the ring but sucks on the mic. Smith is getting better on the mic but is still green in the ring. And Natalia? Well, she's amazing in the ring but ever since she's lost the weight (Since about Mania), they haven't used her too much in there.

The HD may well be the future of the WWE Tag Team division but I think it's too soon....nah, way too soon, to have them main event a Mania.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Since McMahon won't grant HBK the match against Taker ... HBK is going to win the Royal Rumble, and challenge Taker for the title (if he still has the belt).

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pretty good Raw. I had never heard of the guest host, so it was good that they kept him in the back for most of the show.

The Jericho 'Conspiracy Victim' bits were funny. He did something similar to that in WCW in the 90s.

The Vince/Bret/Shawn thing was pretty well done, although it dragged a little bit. I'm very intrigued.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Surely Cena-Sheamus doesn't go past the Rumble?
    And speaking of Sheamus, I don't think a lot of folks thought he was ready for a big-time push either, but here we are. WWE seems to be putting some new faces out there lately in a sink or swim situation (Kingston, Sheamus, Miz to an extent). Seems like the Hart Dynasty has been around long enough to be nearing that point as well.
    I don't think a HD-Bret vs. DX-McMahon match would be a main event. It'd top one of the hours, sure, but not the last. The main event spot will be reserved for whoever Undertaker is fighting.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Maybe HBK pulls the Mania double -- limited action in a tag match to end the first hour, main event against Taker to close the night.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can see Hart Dynasty vs. DX at the Rumble, with Bret and Vince in the respective corners. I can see the Harts taking the belts off DX, then Shawn winning the Rumble later that night and challenging Undertaker.

Hunter then challenges Sheamus. They have HHH battle Cena for the No. 1 contender at the PPV after Rumble (whatever it's called), then throw out the results and have both of them fight Sheamus in a three-way at WM for the belt.

This then leads to Wrestlemania, where Bret and Vince square off in a street fight and Shawn and Taker battle.

Show and Jericho get frustrated because they can't win the belts back. They lose to the Harts at the middle PPV, and battle at WM.

At the Rumble, DiBiase finally gets fed up with Orton's mind games, and turns on him, to battle at WM. At the Feb. PPV, DiBiase fights Rhodes, with Orton interfering. Kofi either battles Rhodes at WM, or, more probably, both of them end up in MITB.

If I'm right on any of this, I'm buying a bunch of lottery tickets.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This sounds pretty plausible to me, given how the WWE has been booking lately. Not really surprising, but nothing that screams "Wrestlecrap!" outside of the Sheamus stuff. Raw has been like a .250 to .275 hitter the past year to me. To further baseball analogies, Smackdown is an unappreciated guy with a high OBP, and ECW is like Pedro Cerrano, going through stretches of greatness, and stretches of lackluster production.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Like Gutter said earlier, I see Shawn Michaels winning the Royal Rumble then challanging 'Taker for the title, which I imagine they'll keep around his waist for WrestleMania 26. Michaels vs. Taker, this time for the title, could be a great, great match. I could see HBK ending the streak.

Draft saved Draft deleted