1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 1, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

To start things off, the WWE says the Pro Bowl could conflict with the Royal Rumble scheduling for next season.

Oh, and hi Petrie! :D

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Let's see if we can top 152 pages this year.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Since I started the 2008 thread, I didn't want to be the one to hog this one.

Going back to the theme music. My all-time favorites:

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin. Always a classic.
    2. The Midnight Express. From 1980s WCW. It was the Midnight Express theme by Giorgio Maurder or something like that.
    3. The Road Warriors. From 1980s WCW. They used Black Sabbath's "Ironman," and I never heard more spookier a fit for a theme song.
    4. Kane. I liked it so much I added the song to my iTunes.
    5. Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin. ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man". Awesome.

4. XXXX

XXXX Member

I don't know if we talked about this or not, but does anyone hear watch ROH? I went to my first show in NY last weekend for Final Battle, and it was AWESOME!! They have some great theme songs, Brian danielson comes out to Final Countdown by Europe. Although it sounds corny as shit, it really hits hard when the crowd starts singing along to the chorus.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Never have seen ROH. But I've heard a lot of great things about it.

6. HandsomeHarley

Same here. I'd love to see it on cable.

Sounds like what TNA started out as before Jarrett and Russo took over.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I've seen some of ROH's stuff on Comcast On Demand in the past. Impressive workers with an enthusastic fanbase. Surprised they don't have a small cable deal, or even some form of syndication, yet.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Nice work KY :D

Never seen ROH...actually never heard of it besides on here. Heard good things though...

Back to theme music, some classics are Brutus Beefcake and Owen Hart. Cheesy as hell, but both are awesome. Also into Edge's original music lately since buying the Decade of Decadence DVD set.

Random question concerning the Royal Rumble: who do you guys think might make a surprise appearance? Whether it's an old guy, someone coming back from an injury (Bourne?), etc.

9. HandsomeHarley

Christian immediately comes to mind.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Golddust and Honky Tonk Man.

There has been feelers back and forth between Vince and Hogan, but I haven't heard anything beyond the "What if?" stage.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Since the Rumble is in Detroit this year, it'd be cool to see a couple of guys in the Rumble that wrestled at WrestleMania 3 like Ricky Steamboat (I think he's a backstage agent), Tito Santana, and The Iron Sheik.

Mexican wrestling superstar Dos Caras Jr. is expected to debut at The Rumble according to some online wrestling sites. WWE wants to boost Latino demographics for SmackDown and giving Carlito/Primo the tag titles didn't help much. Caras Jr. is one of Mexico's top lucha libre-style wrestlers and has also dabbled with MMA. He had a tryout match last summer against Snitsky and apparently Vince really likes him.

Also, according to The Wrestling Observer, the current plan for WrestleMania is Christian being revealed as Jeff Hardy's Survivor Series attacker. This will lead to Jeff Hardy vs. Christian at the big show, as well as Triple H vs. Edge.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Best entrance music for me:

Enter Sandman - Sandman. Nuff said.

Natural Born Killaz - New Jack. When both of those hit the loudspeakers in ECW, you knew it was time to get extreme. I've never marked out more for entrances than when ECW came to town.

And I'm also partial to Man in the Box ... I wonder why? :D

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Enter Sandman
    Balls Mahoney - Big Balls by AC/DC (when he was in ECW. and then they changed it to a carbon copy without lyrics in WWE. not nearly as fun, cheap bastards.)
    Goldberg (epic)
    nWo
    Santino Marella
    John Cena (never has there been such a 50/50 split of cheers and boos for one guy. his response is great...entrence music hits and you know it's about to get loud one way or another)

Draft saved Draft deleted