1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Allegedly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I thought I read it would be, but I must have been wrong.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Series to watch: Philly vs. Pittsburgh

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think that one goes 7.

Can't see Montreal hanging with Boston. Bruins should advance rather easily.

Could see the Blues causing trouble for Vancouver. A team that built momentum under a desperation run might be able to milk that for more.

Black Hawks take out Calgary in a series that should rival Philly/Pitt for excitement.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rangers & Caps should be fun.

Avery & Ov could be quite a show.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Eastern Conference
    1 vs. 8: Bruins vs. Canadiens -- Bruins in 6. The Canadiens will cause enough trouble for the Bruins to swallow hard. Series will be an all out brawl. Old time hockey. Price will steal one for Les Habitants and they will also take a 6-5 type game. Book it.
    2 vs. 7: Capitals vs. Rangers -- Caps in 5. I don't think Theodore's melt down will start until the second round. While I like Lundquist in NYR net, they are far too over matched.
    3 vs. 6: Devils vs. Hurricanes -- Devils in 7. Series is a coin flip, but who ever comes out very likely goes to at least the conference final. I do, howerver, give a slight edge to the Devils with a fresh Brodeur in net and their most complete team in years. Should be an entertaingin seven games though.
    4 vs. 5: Penguins vs. Flyers -- Pens in 6. Will be a fun sereis to watch, not so much to play in. While I like Philly's overall depth better, I can't trust their goaltending. Not a huge Fleury fan, but he will play well enough to get them to the second round.

Western Conference
    1 vs. 8: Sharks vs. Ducks -- Sharks in 7. Should be another war. The Ducks are definitely the one team the Sharks didn't want to see in the first round -- tons of momentum, playoff hardened, physical, a nearly unstoppable first line. However, the Sharks depth pulls them through, that and I give them the edge in goaltending and the Ducks' lack of discipline will cost them at least one or two games.
    2 vs. 7: Red Wings vs. Blue Jackets --Blue Jackets in 6. The Jackets are young, excited, have outstanding goaltending, and are built for the riggors of playoff hockey. They also have enough battle tested players that they are not complete playoff nyophytes. Throw in the Red Wings are notoriously slow starters, their question marks in net, and I think maybe a touch of complacency and you have an upset brewing.
    3 vs. 6: Canucks vs. Blues -- Canucks in 5. Not too sure how to reach this series. More than any of the teams in the playoffs, I think the Blues qualify as just happy to be there, but they are playing so well right now and with a physical edge to their game. I just don't think they have enough left in the tank to advance further. Not that I am a huge Vancouver backer, but I see them almost getting a free pass with this series.
    4 vs. 5: Blackhawks vs. Flames --Blackhawks in 5. Stated my reasons earlier, but the Hawks have too much speed and too much offence for the Flames to handle. While Calgary may actually be able to piece together a complete lineup for the playoffs, they are still possibly missing Phanuef, Sarich and Reghyr from their back end for at least the first game or two, and if they comeback how effective will they be? And with the forwards coming back, Rene Bourque said yesterday "it will take a few games to get the feel of the puck back." or something of that ilk. If it takes a few games, that might be too long and the grave already dug. Let's also not forget about Kipper who seemingly got the hook in every other game he started down the stretch. Not a good sign for the Flickering C.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, they were my darkhorse to come out of the west before they slipped from a 7 seed to an 8 seed and drew a tougher matchup with San Jose.

Hard for me to see the Sharks bowing out so early, but if anyone was going to do it to them, it might be the Ducks.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Series that ultimately won't matter worth a damn: Vancouver vs. St. Louis

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

pretty much. Zero drama or intrigue.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Bruins in 6.
    Capitals in 5.
    Hurricanes in 6.
    Penguins in 7.
    Ducks in 7.
    Red Wings in 6.
    Canucks in 5.
    Blackhawks in 6.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Boooooooooooooo.

Although you're right, not the most exciting of the first round matchups. I think St. Louis is a tough match up for the Canucks but I think the Canucks take it in 6.

I'll be in Mexico for the first round, hopefully a local tavern has Satellite and a bunch of Canadians.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Boston in 5
    Washington in 5
    New Jersey in 6
    Philadelphia in 7
    San Jose in 6
    Detroit in 7
    St Louis in 6
    Chicago in 6

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think the series could be decent. The fact that the Blues even made the playoffs is amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted