1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Allegedly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Columbus I think will surprise you. Mason being a rookie means little. He's been through the Hockey Canada grinder, been in gold medal games and been successful. The only question with these goalies is if they can successfully make the jump to the NHL and have the same kind of success and there is no question Mason has. Pogge in Toronto, for example has not been able to make the jump. I think Mason will be able to handle the pressure, so will Nash.They also have some guys who have been on long playoff runs before like Pecca, Torres and Commodore. That experience will be huge.

I'm not sold on them beating the Wings, but I wouldn't put it past them.

The Wings didn't exactly set it on fire down the stretch and if their offence stays cold they could be in trouble. And as you mentioned, they almost always start the playoffs slow. Their goaltending isn't what it was last year. Osgood took a step back and Conklin has been inconsistent. I know their philosophy on goaltending is not to spend big bucks and just have a guy who is not going to lose you the game, I question that ability this year. That offence was able to cover a lot of issues in net.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Thats going to be an excellent series. Ducks have to stay out of the box and hope HIller can continue to play like he did down the stretch.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

National exclusivity rights don't kick in until the conference finals.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That said, the winner of any series should have loads of momentum.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Anybody think the Ducks can win?
    They finished 10-2-1.
    Teams played a home-and-home the last week of the season. Ducks won, 5-2, in SJ. Sharks won, 3-2, at Honda in a game that ended in a huge brawl.
    My daughter has become a Ducks fan. She said the Sharks remind her of Slytherin. Roenick is Malfoy.

6. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Calgary-Chicago should be fun, so should Anaheim-San Jose. Though for some reason, I can't picture the Sharks without choking.

Oh, and Boston-Montreal.

Damn, good first round.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Why do I love this declaration so much?

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Because it's so dead on?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think the team lurking in the weeds is Sam Mills' Whalercanes.

Paul Maurice has them firing on all cylinders and Cam Ward has been playing at the top of his game

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That right there was worth the entire cost of my ISP this month.

12. KP

KP Active Member

I wonder how much pressure is on this Bruins team, considering they've won one series since 1995 (and it was as a 6-seed against Carolina, which had fewer points).

I sense another hairball. Hopefully it will be much like the game the other night. Ratings should be good in Boston, obviously they will be in MTL.

Draft saved Draft deleted