1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Allegedly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He had no choice after the lockout. The game was not watchable.

Since the lockout I would say he has done some positive things but the damage he did in the previous 10 or so years far outweighs any good he has done since.

2. All of the excessive Bettman/Penguins love on this thread is making this Flyers fan a little squirmish.

3. mb

mb Active Member

I can't understand why. You've got your goalie now.
    A Handy User's Manual For Flyers Fans: Emery 2.0

/muwahahahahahahahahahahhaa
    //pens fanboy looser
    ///refuses to use "fanboi"

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sorry, Oz ... can't agree with this, either. Bettman isn't "being consistent" with his efforts. He's too stubborn, too proud and perhaps too ignorant to acknowledge that some non-traditional markets aren't working. He did good work in Buffalo and Pittsburgh, sure, but simply put, his stubbornness about not looking at the current situation is more a reflection that, if it kills him, he's going to stick it out until all this works.

Even though it likely won't.

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Lawlling.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know, I think this sentiment is going to fade. People are going to remember how amazing Crosby and Malkin were, and how this took both of their careers into a new dimension, not this silly little epilogue.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That is brilliant.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I hate the Flyers management.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Just to show you I've been alive longer, for me it's 12-2. Unless you count Pitt's 1976 national championship, which would lift it to 13-2.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Is it non-traditional markets that are the problem, or it is a winning product on the ice? If you're not winning games -- the Coyotes have made the playoffs, what, once since they moved to Phoenix in 1996? -- you're not giving fans a good reason to buy tickets. The Hurricanes, in another non-traditional market, have had valleys in attendance figures that coincide with their down years. But when they're winning, they're selling tickets.

Likewise, traditional markets like New York (with Islanders), Chicago, Boston, New Jersey, Pittsburgh and Washington haven't been immune from poor attendance figures during some lean years.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary also had terrible attendance in correlation with inept ownership and terrible teams. But when those markets and the markets Oz mentioned had the attendance issues, it wasn't because the market wasn't working, but because "hockey savvy" fans wouldn't support bad teams. It's a double standard.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

A double-standard I remember Terry Frei slamming repeatedly in his columns on ESPN back in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted