1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Allegedly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And in Toronto, it's Happy Kerry Fraser Day:

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/05/happy-kerry-fraser-day.html

Sixteen years ago today Kerry Fraser missed Gretzky's high stick on Dougie Gilmour.

Next year will be the final one of Kerry Fraser's career. As the season winds down, count on reading plenty of feel-good fluff pieces about Fraser's fine body of work, and how much he'll be missed.

Don't believe a word of it. He's a coward and liar, and no Leaf fan should forget or forgive.

And "Down Goes Brown" may be my favourite hockey blog name of all tilme.

And it's all from a Joe Bowen call:

Holy Mackinaw!

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fixed.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If your "this is what I'm going to act superior about today" list includes "pronoun usage that both enjoys nearly universal use among sports fans and reflects the emotional involvement that serves as the basis for all of our continued employment," you should be called worse things than "fanboy."

4. RickStain

This one was over as soon as Cleary's goal eliminated Anaheim.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

First time I mentioned the Leafs to HC, I said something like "We are going to make the Final this year" and she said, 'You play for the Leafs'?"

6. RickStain

Of course you don't.

Wait, you are Jeremy Roenick, right?

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You talking about acting superior. That's a good one. You want to tell us some more about how you're morally superior to the rest of us. Oh, and yes, the use of "us" makes you look incredibly foolish on a board of journalists.

8. RickStain

Your opinion has been given its due notice.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. I am far from the only one on this board who has a problem with using "us" in that context.

As much crap as I take for being a Steelers fanboy on this board, much of it deserved, I NEVER refer to them as "us."

10. RickStain

I'm quite happy to defend the usage against any and all comers. It's perfectly innocuous and reflects common usage. It doesn't impede understanding in any way. There's really no good argument against it in an informal setting.

Anyways, I want Huet to have a good game for us tonight, because we don't need to be having a "yeah, but what will he do for us in the playoffs?" goalie controversy hanging over our heads all of next season.

But I don't think it's going to matter. The Red Wings are a much better team all-around than us, and that's why we're going down in five tonight.

11. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

As a journalist, you should only use we or us if you are on the payroll. As a fan, who gives a shit. My two cents.

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

You don't really want to, do you?

Draft saved Draft deleted