1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Allegedly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Since 1981-82, when the NHL created the present playoff structure that sees the conference champions meet in the final, at least four teams have hoisted the conference trophy and gone on to win the Cup. Thanks to ESPN, they are:

1991 Wales Conference final: On May 11, the Penguins advanced to the Stanley Cup final for the first time in team history after beating the Bruins in six games. Penguins captain Mario Lemieux picked up the Prince of Wales Trophy and skated around with it. Pittsburgh went on to win the Stanley Cup, beating the Minnesota North Stars in six games.

1997 Western Conference final: On May 26, the Detroit Red Wings advanced to their second Stanley Cup final in three seasons after beating the rival Colorado Avalanche in six games. After the post-series handshake, Wings captain Steve Yzerman picked up the Campbell Trophy. The Red Wings went on to sweep the Philadelphia Flyers to win the Stanley Cup.

2000 Eastern Conference final: On May 26, the Devils rallied from a 3-1 series deficit to beat the Flyers 2-1 in the decisive Game 7. Despite captain Scott Stevens picking up the Prince of Wales Trophy, the Devils went on to win the Cup in six games over the Dallas Stars.

2003 Eastern Conference final: On May 23, the Devils ousted the Senators in seven games to advance to the Cup final. Stevens again touched and carried the Wales Trophy, and the team took a picture with it. New Jersey went on to win the Cup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4208412&name=09cupplayoffsblog

If you actually click the link, you will see references to "conference finals" and "Cup finals," NBA style. I have corrected these egregious errors for the purposes of this post. :)

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thank you, Double J

Reading Stanley Cup finals is like nails on a blackboard.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

So does putting your left skate on first, or having spaghetti before every game, or never saying the word 'shutout' during the course of a game ...

And?

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Hate it, too ...

Yzerman may have picked it up in '97 but there were two other instances he didn't. Was it superstition? Maybe, maybe not ... I'd love to be the one to ask him.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yzerman just got an urge to call Brook Jacoby and talk to him about restraining orders, but has no idea why. :D ;D :D

6. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I jussssssssssssst wantsssssssss a lock of hisssss hair ... jusssssssst wantsssssssss a lock ...

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

According to Mirtle's Twitter feed, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Khabibulin and Havlat all are out for Game 5. I'm wondering if Lidstrom and Datsuy would be out there if the Wings weren't up 3-1. You have to think the Pens have a solid shot if Lidstrom and Datsyuk miss much time (assuming the Wings get past the Hawks) in the finals.

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

My suspicion? The Wings are confident in a WCF victory and are resting Lidstrom and Datsyuk for the SCF.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Huet needs to have a good game. Obviously, I want the Hawks to win, but I don't want a goalie controversy hanging over us all next season.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

There won't be one hanging over "us." There might be one hanging over the Blackhawks, though.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Attempted semantic nitpick fails.

Colloquial usage rules the day.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Either way, if I were a Blackhawks fan, I wouldn't worry about next season until this one's officially done.

Draft saved Draft deleted