1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Allegedly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that Cam Ward goal may be paraded alongside the goal Belarus scored on Salo in the SLC Olympics as one of the most embarrassing goals in a clutch game.

2. mb

mb Active Member

Play the Hurricanes off, keyboard cat

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

When the Bruins hoisted that trophy in 1988, the lid fell off and almost whacked Reggie Lemelin in the head. The Bruins went on to lose that series in 4* games. Coincidence? (Yes, absolutely.)

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. He might have been outplayed by Varlamov in the second round, but Fleury really picked it up as this series went on. Still allowing some juicy rebounds, but he did the job.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The only difference is that Sweden completely took Belarus for granted and allowed them to hang around in a game that on paper they had no right being in. HUGE upset. Where as this time it was more of a signal that Ward wasn't going to be able to bail them out this time, that their run was over. I don't think his kids or wife will be accosted as Salo's were.

6. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Mario Lemieux twice touched the Prince of Wales trophy.

Mario Lemieux twice won the Stanley Cup.

You're nuts if you don't think Sidney Crosby knows that.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was talking about the nuttiness of the attempted saves on what were both harmless shots.

Yes, the Swedes underestimated Belarus but that has nothing to do with Salo's unbelievable ducking motion on the shot.

They were both oddball goals in key games.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

the "jinx" is you don't touch a trophy until you've won it.....so touching the Prince of Wales trophy after you've won the conference wouldn't jinx anything.

That's why I refuse to touch the Stanley Cup....I'm waiting to win it and then hoist it up.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Actually, no, not in hockey. The recent tradition has been that you don't hoist any trophy - Wales or Campbell - until you win the big one. In particular, I remember watching Yzerman pose for a picture with the Campbell Bowl, set it down and skate to the dressing room.

You'll likely see Lidstrom do the same thing this week.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't the whole idea of touching vs. not touching a trophy and actually thinking it matters when it comes to winning a playoff series seem just a tad, I dunno, absurd?

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

that's the first I've heard of that.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

No...it makes perfect sense and could determine the outcome of the next series.

Draft saved Draft deleted