1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL off-season trades, rumours, draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, May 12, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dunno why, EF. Kessel has acted like a bit of a diva, and seems to want more money than the headache is worth, and by headache, I mean it overrides his obvious talent IMO.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Pictures like this make me happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Did they present Obama with a jersey?

Nice to see a clean-shaven Crosby. Playoff facial growth isn't for everybody, Sid.....take heed.

The guy in the top left-hand corner looks a bit stunned. Did he take a butt end to the temple right before the picture was taken? :D

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They did give Obama a jersey -- No. 44, with the "C" of course. (Found a pic and added it above.)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09254/997201-61.stm
    http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoid=102279

Was listening to NHL Home Ice on XM today, and I guess when the Hurricanes won it, they couldn't find a date that worked before the season. When they visited the White House, it happened in February. Probably not the best of ways to hit the White House, visiting the past during the following season. From what I gather, the Penguins were able to really enjoy their trip to Washington today.

p.s. Malkin does look a little dumb-founded, doesn't he? He's always good for comedy relief. Check him out on the video at about the two-minute mark.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wasn't absolutely sure that was Malkin. Yep, he's different!

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Mike Comrie is an Oiler. Interesting to say the least.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Now the Oilers fans get to boo him every night.

Wonder what Beef thinks about this.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Beef's not thrilled, but he's philosophical, having noted that the Flames just invited the newly reinstated Theo Fleury to camp.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Do not like the signing of Comrie at all. Forget how it ended the first time (my first question to him if I was Edmonton media "So do you still think the Edmonton Oilers are run by a Communist regime?"), I'm looking at the here and now. They have more than enough small forwards capable of scoring 55 points. Plus it's not like he helps out in the face off circle or kills penalties. All this does is eat up what's left of their cap space, limiting what they can do money-wise if they need to make a trade, and it possibly hurts the development of one of several young forwards either currently on the roster (i.e. Cogliano, Nielson, Gagner) or trying to break through (i.e. Schremp, Brule, Eberle -- although Eberle would be best served by one more year in Regina with another World Jr. run). It's also not like he's an offensive upgrade over Horcoff, so he will not push him off the first line. If they were to sign anyone -- keeping in mind who is available at this point -- I would have preferred a defensive centreman who kills penalties and can win faceoffs and won't bitch and complain about being on the fourth line, but can also play the third line in a pinch, someone like maybe Blair Betts. Just throwing his name out there because he popped to mind.

I don't understand this at all. Kevin Lowe said it gives Quinn the option of putting together three scoring lines and one checking line, although I'm not sold on the quality of those three scoring lines, plus the last time the Oilers tried going with more skill than checkers they ended up with an infirmary full of small skilled players with no enforcers to keep the other teams honest. They still have to find a spot for the Great Stortilini and he sure as shit ain't playing on a scoring line or a shut down defensive line.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I'm guessing Quinn and Renney will keep him in line and I'm sure Comrie knows he's down to his last chance. Coming home was probably the only option he had. Better work his ass off and keep his mouth shut.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

My guess is this an ownership decision and not Lowe's or Tambellini's

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My understanding is Katz's ties to the Comries are limited. i don't even think Bill Comrie (Mike's dad) lives in Edmonton anymore, by the sounds of things on the radio yesterday. It sounds like this is a Lowe/Tambellini venture, an effort to boost their offence. My concerns are already listed above.

Draft saved Draft deleted