1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL off-season trades, rumours, draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, May 12, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

NBC would never put Montreal in the game.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where would they play an outdoor game in Montreal?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why not Molson Stadium?

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Winter Classic at Fenway was one of the worst-kept secrets in hockey for months.

It's not a huge surprise that one of NBC's four pet teams got the nod instead of the Bruins' biggest rivals from Montreal (or even pseudo-pet team Washington). That the Rangers -- the team that makes U.S. TV executives get really tingly for some strange reason -- weren't selected as a visiting team leads me to believe a future Classic is set for one of the NYC fields (probably new Yankee Stadium).

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Undergoing renovation right now. Currently also only seats 25K (or will after the renovations), although I would expect a few temp bleachers to be hauled in to get the capacity closer to 40K.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

It could work after the renovations, though, right?

Maybe CBC should organize its own Winter Classic......Montreal vs Toronto, home-and-home, Molson Stadium and BMO Field.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Montreal is not going to be very good next season, IMO. And, yeah, Montreal was in the outdoor game in Edmonton in 2003, so they have been featured before.

And, I read somewhere that Montreal was playing Washington at Olympic Stadium, albeit with the roof closed. What's up with that?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

the reason it's not Montreal Boston is because this game is NBC's baby so why would NBC want a Canadian team? That is why there was talk of a doubleheader with Calgary hosting.
    There is also talk of a game at the Big O, but I doubt you will ever see a Canadian team featured for the day game on New years day.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

NBC did a Rangers-Canadiens game from Montreal on Super Bowl Sunday two years ago. So it's not an open and shut case.

To follow that logic further, why then is CBC televising the game as well? Surely, they would have no interest in a game between two US teams.

I suspect in time Calgary, Montreal and Toronto will all host outdoor games, as well as New York, Minnesota and possibly Pittsburgh.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In amongst the Winter Classic announcement, NHL and NBC also announced a two-year extension through the 2010-11 season.

Yet again, a 'revenue sharing' deal is in place.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

CBC is televising this game because Candians love hockey, meaning they can sell advertisement, meaning they can make money. Do you get that Mark?

The outdoor classic on New years day is NBC's, it does not make good business sense to have a Canadian team. One of the only times I can agree with this.

Of course Canadian cities will host outdoor games it just won't be the afternoon game on New Years day.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Canadians watch NHL hockey, not just the Canadian teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted