1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL off-season trades, rumours, draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, May 12, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, while the league did let it go through in the end, wasn't the deal the Leafs and Lightning swung at the trade deadline, with Petiot going to Tampa and Kolzig, Heward, Rogers and a 4th round pick going to Toronto, being viewed dimly?

There was talk before it was approved that it was so transparent that Burke was buying a pick through salary cap relief for Tampa that it might not be allowed.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and if they didn't shut the league down do you think the Canes would be in this position? The Canes can compete because of the salary cap.

Without the cap the Canes, Preds, Lightning, Coyotes, Panthers, Sabres, Islanders and a few others would have no chance of competing against the higher revenue teams on a consistent basis. They may be able to make an occasional run but the high revenue teams would poach there players the minute they had a chance.

Would you rather go back to the old way? There would be no revenue sharing and the discrepency between the haves and have nots would be a hell of a lot more. There are teams that can barely survive with a salary cap and revenue sharing how the hell would they survive without it.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Who knows? They did not allow Palffy to Rangers deal.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Never disputed that particular point, JC.

2) I understand that a league with some sort of competitive cap minimizes hoarding and better groups the haves and have-nots. But still, owners were barking - LOUDLY - that salaries were spiraling out of control. So what do the GMs do - none of whom can make big-money deals without the owners? Offer idiotic contracts - again. Hence, my statement that they didn't learn much, if anything.

3) Peter Karmanos is still millions under the current cap ... I believe it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million under. Even in the fleecing of Jussi Jokinen from Tampa - trade? No, fleecing - the Whalercanes had them take Josef Melichar and Wade Brookbank to avoid taking on much more salary. Karmanos = billionaire cheapskate (A hello to BYH and some of the hardcore fans who understandably don't care for the Whalers/Hurricanes franchise for this reason among others ... )

4) As you noted, playoff runs can happen with a have-not. See Whalercanes of 2002. They were paying Ron Francis, then sorta Rod Brind'Amour and Jeff O'Neill, then well ... not much money flying out the door. Detroit, on the other hand, had eight probable HOFers and Mike Ilitch's near-bottomless wallet behind it. Nothing against the Red Wings - they won and won with class - but still worth mention.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sam, I'm not sure where you stand on this, do you like the cap? I would assume as a fan of a team where the cap is extremely beneficial you would, but I'm not sure.

The deals some owners are signing players to might be ridiculous but they are still limited on overall payroll. So it doesn't matter how much you pay 1 guy. You pay a guy a ridiculous amount it will hurt your overall depth. The total amount of salaries isn't spiralling out of control.

Can you imagine what kind of cheapstake Karmanos would be without revenue sharing and a cap. If the NHL is going to have 30 teams and teams in non-traditional markets the only way these teams will survive is with a cap.

Enjoy another playoff run, as a Canuck fan I really forget what they are like.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

JC, I'm for the cap so long as the players are getting a healthy cut and the owners aren't keeping it all for themselves.

The cap hasn't changed Peter Karmanos at all. He was cheap before the cap, he's cheap now and he'll be cheap in the future. Understand that I feel I know the difference: he's not just being smart with his money, he's cheap. He charged the press for pregame meals at the ESA. Need more be said?

I hear you, JC. And I'm trying to drink in this playoff run. Moreover, watching Cam Ward act as if it's just another day, another game and another save without the first bit of concern or pretense is making this all worth it.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this, but at least there is a salary floor or could you imagine what some of these payrolls would be.

8. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Just thought I'd add to this: Adam Perry (Corey's brother) was a finalist for CHL rookie of the year this year, too. No NHL rights, so far as I know, but he did make the CHL's rookie team.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow, nice play by Kelowna's Jamie Benin to score on the powerplay. Tyler Meyers shots a, um, rocket from the point, bounces off the goalies pad to his left and Benin pokes it in to make it 2-0 Kelowna.

Meyers had the first goal on a similar shot from inside the blue line.

Go ROCKETS!! (Still have my 2004 Mem Cup champs souveneir puck.)

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ian Duval makes it 3-0 Rockets!!

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oceanic has some sweet jerseys for this game.

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Rimouski: Just happy being nominated.

Draft saved Draft deleted