1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL off-season trades, rumours, draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, May 12, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

The 2005 London Knights claim that title for themselves.

A claim at which everyone else, notably the 1944 Oshawa Generals, the 1947 St. Mike's Majors and the 1964 and 1973 Toronto Marlboros, to name only four clubs that would've waxed the Hunter Gang, laughs heartily.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A late friend of mine's dad played on that 1947 St. Mike's team.

As for your other assertion JJ, I don't know. Junior hockey then has little resemblance to what we see now. That London team barely broke a sweat that year, that's how doiminant they were. They could play it any way you want: you want to play run-and-gun, no problem, goon it up, hey they had those guys too and they could play some D. Their power play was better than many in the NHL.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Can't be taken seriously until there is an interlocking schedule.

And there never will be one, at least not in my lifetime, so the ranking is what it is: a reason to sell a sponsorship and an evergreen for the CHL beat writers.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

CIS does the same thing. There's no interlocking scedule and people (well, some) take it seriously

In football it goes something like this:

1) Laval

2) through )10: Doesn't matter. :)

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I remember when the basketball rankings would go:

1. StFX
    2. Everybody else

:D

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Believe me I wasn't one of those trying to push for that title for the Hitmen, but there was certainly a group.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

what current NHL players were on that London team?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

London's Memorial Cup winners who are still active:

GOALIE
    *Adam Dennis - Portland (AHL)
    Gerald Coleman - Trenton (ECHL)

DEFENCE
    Daniel Girardi - N.Y. Rangers
    Marc Methot - Columbus
    Bryan Rodney - Albany (AHL), briefly with Carolina this year
    *Danny Syvret - Philadelphia (AHL), briefly with Flyers this year
    Steve Ferry - Sarnia (OHL)

FORWARDS
    Dave Bolland - Chicago
    *Dan Fritsche - Minnesota (traded from Rangers)
    *Corey Perry - Anaheim
    Brandon Prust - Phoenix (traded from Calgary)
    Josh Beaulieu - Philadelphia (AHL)
    Robbie Drummond - Lake Erie (AHL)
    Dylan Hunter - Portland (AHL)
    Drew Larman - Rochester (AHL), briefly with Florida this year
    Harrison Reed - Albany (AHL)
    Robbie Schremp - Springfield (AHL), briefly with Edmonton this year
    Jordan Foreman - Alaska (ECHL)
    Trevor Kell - Trenton (ECHL)
    Adam Perry - Arizona (CHL)

* - Memorial Cup tournament all-stars. Corey Perry was also the tournament MVP. The leading scorer of the tournament, with six goals and 11 points in five games, was this kid from Rimouski, Sindy Cosby or some such name. ;)

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

thanks Double J......impressive club.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

read on TSN that Tampa was offering Ryan Malone and a the no. 2 pick for the no. 7 pick? What sense does that make? Sure, you dump some salary, but you just signed Malone last summer.

So a good player and a high pick in exchange for a lower pick?

BTW, I wouldn't trade Schenn. They are obviously in a major rebuilding mode and Schenn can be a key piece of the puzzle. Kaberle? I'd listen to offers.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

An interlocking CHL schedule would be awesome, but I realize there are logistical problems. Long bus ride from, say, Rimouski to Kamloops.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Spotlighted members of select other "greatest junior team ever" contenders:

1944 Oshawa Generals: Dave (later Father David) Bauer, Floyd Curry, Bill Ezinicki, Ted Lindsay, Gus Mortson, Kenny Smith, coach Charlie Conacher.

Oshawa went 23-3-0 in the OHA regular season, beating St. Catharines 4-2 in games and St. Michael's 4-1 in games to win their seventh consecutive Ontario championship, a record that will last forever. In the Eastern Canadian playoffs, the Generals swept the University of Ottawa 2-0 (game scores 10-3 and 11-1) and beat Montreal 3-1. Oshawa swept Trail 4-0 in the Memorial Cup final, winning by a combined score of 40-12. Final season record: 40-7-0.

1947 St. Michael's Majors: Les Costello, Red Kelly, Fleming Mackell, John McLellan, Rudy Migay, Benny Woit, coach Joe Primeau.

St. Mike's finished first in the regular season at 27-3-0 and cruised to the OHA title by ousting Oshawa 4-1 (combined score 39-18) and Galt 4-0 (27-8). In the Eastern Canadians, the Majors bombed Porcupine 3-0 (24-5) and absolutely crushed Montreal 3-0 (37-4, including a 21-0 romp in the last game). Moose Jaw was just as outmatched in the Memorial Cup final, St. Mike's sweeping the series 4-0 by a combined score of 29-7. Final season record: 45-4-0.

1964 Toronto Marlboros: Wayne Carleton, Ron Ellis, Jim McKenny, Rod Seiling, Brit Selby, Gary Smith, Peter Stemkowski, Mike Walton, coach Jim Gregory.

The Marlies went 40-9-7 to finish first in the OHA then went unbeaten in the playoffs - 4-0 over Niagara Falls (26-7) and 4-0-1 against the Montreal Jr. Canadiens. They went 7-1 in the Eastern Canadians, sweeping North Bay 4-0 (41-16) and beating the Montreal Monarchs 3-1. That set up a four-game sweep of the Edmonton Oil Kings in the Memorial Cup final. Final season record: 59-10-8.

1973 Toronto Marlboros: Paulin Bordeleau, Bruce Boudreau, Bob Dailey, Wayne Dillon, Glenn Goldup, Mark Howe, Marty Howe, Mike Palmateer, coach George Armstrong.

This time the Dukes went 47-7-9 in the regular season. They swept the first two rounds of the OHA playoffs from St. Catharines and Ottawa but were extended to seven games in the final series against Peterborough. With the Memorial Cup now a three-team round-robin tournament, all three teams went 1-1 in the preliminary. Toronto and the Quebec Remparts advanced to the one-game final based on goal differential, and the Marlies whomped Quebec 9-1. Final season record: 60-10-11.

2005 London Knights: The Knights were the class of the OHL all year, going 59-7-2 to finish first overall by 30 points over second-place Owen Sound - not sure there has ever been such a wide gap between the league's first- and second-place clubs. They set all kinds of Ontario and Canadian team records, namely a 31-game unbeaten streak to start the season (they went 29-0-2 during the streak). London then went 16-2 in the playoffs, sweeping Guelph and Windsor and beating Kitchener and Ottawa 4-1. Then the Knights went unbeaten in the Memorial Cup at home, capping it with a 4-0 win over Sid the Kid and the Rimouski Oceanic. Final season record: 79-9-2.

Hmmmmmm.........on reflection, maybe Huggy is right. But if you tell Dale and Mark Hunter that I said their team MIGHT have been the best junior team ever assembled, I'll fucking deny it. And I would love to have seen a game between those Knights and the '47 Majors. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted