1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL off-season trades, rumours, draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, May 12, 2009.

1. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Agreed. It seems like there have been a lot recently (Sid, Kane, Toews, Ovie, etc.), but it's rare.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Would if be fair to say that thos who are a little older, 19-20, or college players who may get drafted later because their ceilings aren't as high as the top prospects, have a better chance of playing in the league next season.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

What he said.

More than an hour in and we're at No. 7? (Nazem Kadri, who is also Twittering the draft for TSN.ca ... @TSN_NKadri)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leafs pick Nazem Kadri from the London Knights.

Helluva hockey player

Family came to Lebanon back in the 60's

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sens table looked a little annoyed.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nah, I like hearing everyone congratulate the Penguins every five minutes. :D

7. RecentAZgrad

Ha :) I'll bet you do.

Not sure. I think the ideal age to enter this league is 24-25 after a couple of seasons spent in the AHL. (See the Chicago Blackhawks' model.)

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Given that, would it be better to restructure the draft so that players are drafted at age 19? Or 20? The thinking being by that stage players would have developed more so teams would be drafting for more immediate help, rather than projecting 3-5 years down the road.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you spend a couple of years in the AHL after being drafted you're 21 or so. If you play until 24 or 25 you're probably either a marginal player, a goalie or a Wings draft pick

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

James Mirtle on Twitter:

No Americans taken in top 10 of NHL draft for first time since 1993: as per TSN's Gord Miller

That's a little troublesome for USA Hockey I imagine

11. RecentAZgrad

Or these guys :)

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=TeamPlayers&type=roster&location=/roster

You're right though, 21 is a good age, but I'd still tend to lean toward coming up around 23.

Edit: Don't you also have to be 20 to play in the AHL?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think so

Drafted OHL players whose teams get booted out of the playoffs routinely play in the AHL playoffs

Draft saved Draft deleted