1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NFL schedule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

It was Arizona and San Francisco last year, I think.

And they're always going to have two West Coast teams involved in that game. No way they're going to have a game start at 9 p.m. or 10 p.m. local time for East Coast or Midwest fans who want to watch their hometown team.

Of course, I never thought they would be dumb enough to have night games at Lambeau Field in January ... so what do I know?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I just don't see why they keep going with the Raiders. This will be three times in the four years they've had the Monday doubleheader that the Raiders have played (49ers-Cardinals was in 2007). Mix in something like Denver-San Diego, Seattle, or even an inter-conference game.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Because they know half the country is sleeping and won't be watching ... and you get the mandatory primetime/national broadcast game for the dog-shit Raiders out of the way.

They don't want to waste one of those on the Chargers or Broncos.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. And, as said earlier, it has to be two western teams.

I wish they would ditch the doubleheader to begin with. Hell, there are already games in five different TV windows that weekend.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The doubleheader is Bills-Pats and Raiders-Chargers as part of the 50th anniversary of the AFL commemoration.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm hearing Cowboys @ Chiefs is looking good for opening weekend, too.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Schedule to be released on Tuesday. NFL Network has a schedule release show at 7 p.m. Eastern.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Sorry, I just thought this was funny...

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Whoo boy, just in time for me to get my NFL schedule release party invites out.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hearing Cowboys @ Broncos out here for Week 1. Broncos have not opened at home in four years and they requested to open at home. Can't be an AFC team in Denver because CBS does not televise in the late window on opening weekend because of the U.S. Open. That leaves the two NFC teams that come to Denver, Giants and Cowboys. And Giants already are penciled in for Thanksgiving night here.

11. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

The NFL doesn't have a rule requiring every team to get on national TV anymore, making it even more bizarre the Raiders find their way into this game every year.

I'm curious to see if the Browns play at home again in Week 1. Browns have had a Week 1 home game every single year since they came back in '99, and have won exactly one of those games (against Baltimore in, I think, 2004).

12. occasionally

occasionally Member

The late MNF game in week 1 has been either Raiders or 49ers, and Raiders over Chargers on Thanksgiving was essentially a no-brainer as well. Reason -- Raiders and 49ers can't play at the same time because of TV rules (just like Jets and Giants), and each year, there are no fewer than 20 games that if played on Sunday afternoon, would have to be 3:00 kickoffs (OAK: all 8 home games, at DEN, at KC; SF: all 8 home games, at SEA, at ARZ). So there has to be at least three times that one of these teams moves off Sunday afternoons to make the schedule work. And in a year where AFC West plays NFC West, it's only worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted