1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NFL MVP is exactly who you thought it is

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 9, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He was their best player and the most valuable. Take away Johnson's production, and the turnaround doesn't happen.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

fat effer francesa on tv now, talking about how wacky and "back and forth" the cards-pack game was. back and forth? green bay never had a lead! ::) ::) ::)

he did a good job, though, explaining how fox raced off without reviewing how the winning play would've been ruled incomplete because of the tuck rule had rodgers hadn't freakishly kicked the ball in the air. also did a good job showing the incomplete pass to start OT.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Exactly. The defense also played better after the 0-6 start and Johnson started getting more carries and touches after that start.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hahahahah my favorite part is how stunningly silent he is re: his criticisms of Sanchez and the Jets. He buried these guys--ESPECIALLY Sanchez, whom he just hammered mercilessly for not looking right at the podium--all year long. Now? Not a single acknowledgment. Jackass.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Exactly.

And it wasn't so much Young who changed things, it was the fact that Collins was no longer under center. Big difference. The team just needed a change at QB. Period. Didn't matter who it was.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh I see, so Vince Young had nothing to do with it - he sucked, didn't make one play, didn't do one thing right - -hell any anonymous quarterback could have been inserted there and the same shit would have happened, they'd have won 8 of their last 11.

No offense, but that is plain asinine.

A lot of the Titans players talked about Young being the difference.

Without Young, there is no turnaround, at all and Johnson is a 2,000-yard back on a 3-13 team....

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So Curtis Painter would have gone 8-2 with the Titans, the same as VY? Interesting theory.

8. outofplace

Young was certainly a part of it, just not as large a part of those victories as Johnson.

Then again, there were all those games Vince Young won without Chris Johnson. Oh, wait...

Well, there were games the Titans won when Johnson did not gain 100 yards. Oh, wait...

Well, there was Young's first start, the team's first victory of the season, a 30-13 win over the Jaguars. Surely, Young was the difference there. He threw for....125 yards? And Johnson only had ....oh yeah, 228 yards and two touchdowns rushing.

9. zagoshe

I see, so having Vince Young around as another threat to run did nothing to help Johnson's performance?

I'll say it again, Johnson's stats are nice and he's certainly their best player - but they were good enough to lead the Titans to an 0-5 record and they didn't start winning until they added Vince Young to the equation, which tells me he's their most valuable player.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Johnson was 0-6 with Collins as quarterback, 8-2 with VY as quarterback. I beg to differ on that point.

There's an argument to be made that Young's legs actually helped open running lanes for Johnson, who was held to less than 100 yards in four of Collins' six starts. With Young, Johnson ran for at least 104 in every game. Young's arm and legs made it a lot tougher for coordinators to load up against Johnson without giving up plays elsewhere.

11. outofplace

They helped each other, but Johnson was that team's primary weapon. And the bottom line is you have no information to show what Young could have done without Johnson. Just because other parts of the team improved as the year went on doesn't mean Johnson wasn't still the Titans' most important player.

Besides, neither one of them was the real reason the Titans turned it around. In between the final contest in the six-game losing streak and their first victory, the Titans sent a donation to the charity that benefits from sales of the Terrible Towel and asked that the curse be lifted. You should know that, Oz. :)

12. zagoshe

This is BS and you know it. I mean, Christ -- 0-6 without Young in the lineup, 8-2 with Young in the lineup, 'nuff said.

There was one major personnel move and magically as soon as said move is made, the team goes from dog shit to really good and every aspect of the team seems to improve. That isn't a coincidence.

Draft saved Draft deleted