1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

And as I have said before, the resume of Jeff Fisher doesn't compare to the myth of Jeff Fisher.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That could very well be true, in part because Fisher may be the most likable coach in the NFL.

3. Mizzougrad96

That's really good advice. I don't care if you're the greatest coach in the league, unless you win like Belichick, the players just start to tune you out at some point.

4. Mizzougrad96

It's rumored that Joe Gibbs is going to be hired for a Parcells-like position with the Skins. I wonder how that would possibly change the coaching search since I don't see Cowher or Shanahan working for Gibbs. I wonder if Gibbs would hire someone like Gregg Williams.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Gibbs will just add to the Redskin mess. He is the one who traded a future #1 so he could draft Jason Campbell. He loved Brunell when Brunell was done.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's always going to end badly. Holmgren knew that in Seattle and got out after exactly 10. Denny Green and Billick had already reached stagnancy before their last years and should have gotten out sooner. One of those Top 10 shows on NFLN had a program about records that will never fall. Landry's 29 years in Dallas was on the list -- but it should have been No. 1.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Cowher had the perfect set-up for longevity. He was young when he started (34 years old). He had fairly consistent success, including a Super Bowl victory. Team ownership is patient enough to wait through the rough patches. He was coaching his home-town team. With all that, he didn't even make it to 20 years. No way anybody matches Landry.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Plus, the absolutely Millenesque job he did with the Dolphins, with pretty much complete control of player personnel, converting the remnants of a 10-6 team (two seasons before he arrived) to 1-15 (the year after he left).

What that means is that nobody with the slightest smidgen of common sense would hire him to coach and run an NFL franchise, but all it takes is one idiot.

Of course, one factor is that Saban gets a $40 million payout from Bama should his contract be terminated (for any reason, by either party) at any time prior to its expiration date.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Rumored by who? PFT? Take EVERYTHING that guy says with a grain of salt, especially this. In fact, the WaPo is already on it, saying sources close to Gibbs seriously doubt he'd ever do that.

Remember, Florio wrote that Andy Reid was holding Vick out of the second preseason game so he could make his debut at home, obviously unaware that Vick wasn't even ALLOWED to play until the third preseason game.

Why would I believe anything Florio has to say?

10. outofplace

Wait, Saban has a clause that gives him a $40 million payout even if he is the one who terminates the contract early?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If Cowher were going to be shitcanned it would have been near those thin years in the late '90s with Stewart, before he briefly turned himself around.

12. outofplace

Exactly. That's what I was thinking of when I used him as an example. Even before he won a Super Bowl, the Rooneys were extremely patient with him. He would have had even more slack after 2005 if he had wanted it.

Draft saved Draft deleted