1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 21, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Aganst Team Bye?

2. mb

mb Active Member

Here's what I don't get about the Fisher thing. So he wore Manning's jersey. BFD. But I haven't seen (though, admittedly, the only coverage I've seen has come from the four-letter) anybody say anything about his comment of something along the lines of "Just wanted to see what it felt like to be a winner."

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Bye's only favored by 3.5.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's not a team in the league that wouldn't like to have Nnamdi Asomugha, or Darren McFadden, for that matter. It's just that I'm guessing the Raiders' asking price was far too high ...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't see any way a NFL team would give Saban another shot, especially considering what they would have to pay him and how much power they would have to give him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Mizzougrad96

Well, if anyone if dumb enough to pull the trigger on that one, it's Snyder.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mizzougrad96

It's funny, but before the season if someone asked you to name the best coach in the NFL other than Belichick, who would you have picked?

I really think there would only be two possible answers: Jeff Fisher or Tom Coughlin. Maybe Sean Payton, maybe Mike Tomlin, but I would bet Fisher would have been the overwhelming winner.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't think McFadden will be anything other than a specific in somebody's Wildcat package. He's a Ki-Jana Carter or Rashaan Salaam clone who fumbles too much.

9. Mizzougrad96

I read in one of the Bay Area papers that Asomugha was the only untouchable.

I still find it amazing that the Raiders are only seven years removed from a Super Bowl appearance.

10. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I honestly don't think Eric Mangini has shown anything more than Raheem Morris. His team has been in two games all season and the players that matter all hate him. He's traded away the only two exciting players on offense and the only guy on his defense worthy of starting in the NFL also hates him. Although, I'd be willing to bet the Browns' owner doesn't even know the team's record right now, so Mangini is safe for at least two more years.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I still think Fisher is a very good coach, but maybe his act has gotten stale there.

Sometimes good coaches do a bad job. Take Bill Cowher as an example. He was a very good coach for the Steelers. Some have even suggested that finally winning a Super Bowl might have made him a Hall of Famer even if he doesn't return to the sidelines. I'm not so sure about that, but he still has a heck of a resume.

That said, I thought Cowher did a terrible coaching job with the Steelers in 2006. He badly mishandled Roethlisberger, rushing him back into the lineup when he was nowhere near his normal self, and whatever he did to combat the Super Bowl hangover didn't work. It took that team until midseason to get its collective act together and some of that has to go on the coaching (the rest going on the quarterback for being an idiot and nearly getting himself killed).

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bill Walsh used to tell his apostles never to stay in one place for more than 10 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted