1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

First-year coaches get canned when first-year coaches amply demonstrate -- 16 games being sufficient -- that they're not ready to be head coaches in the NFL. Morris came in and kicked away a pillar of the organization (the Cover-2, even if its architect is way gone), he was said to have cut his teeth on the defensive side of the ball and he has probably the worst tackling team in the league (there's actually a real fight for that honor this season).

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Zorn is a lock to be canned. (I say he's gone by next Tuesday.) then I would say Morris is running second right now. He never should have gotten that job in a million years.

3. Mizzougrad96

I'd like to see one of the big-name coaches wind up in San Diego. I think that's the best of the likely openings. I could see a big name winding up in Dallas, but I think any coach with a clue doesn't go anywhere near the Redskins.

I would love to see Urban Meyer jump to the NFL. It would be fun to watch him fail and even more fun to watch Florida make the PC hire and watch Charlie Strong fail at UF. I think it will happen soon, especially if Florida wins the title again.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't see Meyer moving to the NFL. No doubt he has spent a lot of time talking to Billy Donavan about his brief step into Pro coaching.

5. Mizzougrad96

Billy doesn't have the ego Meyer does.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Think about it: two of the jobs likely/almost certain to open up have absolute leper colony/death ship status, Skins and Raiders.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

And the minute more than about two jobs open up, Nick Saban's (well, Jimmy Sexton's) phone line will be buzzing. Get ready, Tide fans, for the first installment in the perennial drama.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just finished reading Meyers book and he really strikes me as a college guy.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Skins are off next weekend - so early next week is a good time for a change.
    Snyder apparently wants Cowher.
    Ain't gonna happen.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Saban to the Skins? Makes my skin crawl.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Redskins have better jokes than the other teams.

Q. What do you call 47 millionaires sitting around a TV watching the Super Bowl?
    A. The Washington Redskins.

Q. What do the Redskins and Billy Graham have in common?
    A. They both can make 70,000 people stand up and yell "Jesus Christ".

Q. How do you keep the Redskins out of your yard?
    A. Put up a goal post.

Q. Where do you go in D.C. in case of a tornado?
    A. To FedEx Field - they never have a touchdown there!

Q. What do you call a Redskin with a Super Bowl ring?
    A. Senior Citizen

Q. What's the difference between the Redskins and a dollar bill?
    A. You can still get four quarters out of a dollar bill.

Q. How many Redskins does it take to win a Super Bowl?
    A. We may never find out in the 21st century.

…and a drum roll for an old classic….

Q. What do the Redskins and a possum have in common?
    A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

If Fisher does move on from Titans, I hope the Chargers snap him up.

1. Zorn
    2. Jauron
    3. Turner
    4. Fox
    5. Phillips
    6. Fisher
    7. Morris

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where he'd land, but I'd imagine Gregg Williams will get another head-coaching shot based on what he's done with the Saints defense this year.

Gruden was once a grad assistant at Tennessee (his wife is a former Vols cheerleader), so perhaps the Titans might come callin'.

As for Saban, I don't think he goes anywhere, particularly back to the NFL (his wife wouldn't allow it). If he goes anywhere, it'd be Notre Dame.

Also, I don't think he'd make that move, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacksonville go hard after Urban Meyer, with the idea of drafting Tim Tebow in the first round next spring.

Draft saved Draft deleted