1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 1, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Speaking of NASCAR and media, ESPN is overhauling its booth .... and sending Jerry Punch back to pit road. Marty Reid takes over on play-by-play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-espn-announcers&prov=ap&type=lgns

As for the NASCAR media poll, whoever drew it up is not thinking.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Will "The Daly Planet" now shut down with ESPN making that switch?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

Just came over the tweetpipe ...

RT @nateryan: Watch tomo for USAT's annual crash survey story by @sethliveusat. The leading crasher in 2009? Here's a hint: He's also a hashtag. #nascar

So ... #blamestremme or #blamereutimann?

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree. For a legitimate sports organization, neglecting to include such an important event (which I'm guessing they did because they don't want anyone to focus on a rather huge negative) would be unbelievable. But this is NASCAR we're talking about, so it's hardly a surprise. Seems like about once a decade a race comes along that transcends the sport, and the 2001 Daytona 500 was the one for this decade. I'd say 1992 Hooters 500, the 1984 Firecracker 400 and the 1979 Daytona 500 would be the ones from the previous three decades.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It was also the first race under the packaged national television contract. Oh well, rickstain will be happy. :D

6. 2muchcoffeeman

No NASCAR at Milwaukee in 2010.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-milwaukeemile-future&prov=ap&type=lgns

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Incidentally, I am. If the list didn't say "10 most important races," then Earnhardt's death shouldn't be on it. It may have been the most important race of the decade, or the most memorable, but I wouldn't call it a "top" race.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Denny Hamlin looks for a clue: http://tweetphoto.com/6695261

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Guessing there are lots of pictures.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Of you and Denny?

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This Jerry Punch move is a bit of a shocker.

Nothing wrong with Marty Reid, but I think most people like Dr. Punch.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted