1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 1, 2009.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

What's the over/under on Danica's jump to NASCAR getting more press than Johnson winning four straight titles?
    FWIW, I can't help but wonder if the IRL only has itself to blame if Danica jumps full-time to NASCAR in another year or two. In her comments last week Danica noted her preference for running mainly oval events. Since Danica came to the IRL, that series has gone from mostly ovals to now having more street/road courses than ovals. Danica might well have eventually tried NASCAR anyway because of the exposure and all that, but I wonder if this is in part a rebellion against the IRL's change in direction.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I kind of thought it was all about money.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It's all about the money. It certainly has nothing to do with driving ability.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course it is. But those in the motorsports media who write about this as if it's wrong and some kind of sin against the sport of racing are missing the boat. If you're her, would you not cash in? Dip your toe in the most popular form of racing in this country? Don't care one bit that Dario, Villeneuve, Carpentier, Hornish have tried/are trying and suck. That had no bearing on whether she's entitled to go. Even if she runs poorly, she still wins and nascar will benefit for having her. IndyCar will always be there as a backup.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I don't care if she's any good, let her race. Even if she's horrible, there's going to be worse on display every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree, but I'm just wondering how much the IRL is hurting itself by adding more road courses and removing ovals from the schedule. Hornish will go down as one of the IRL greats, but by and large he couldn't get out of his own way on the road courses. Same with Danica, minus the going down as one of the greats part. If Danica (or Hornish before her) felt she had a chance at winning any race (i.e. back when the IRL had all ovals or even just a couple of road courses), would she be as willing to go for the NASCAR money?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

Former Kentucky Speedway owners lose again, this time at federal Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals which upheld the district court's ruling that the former owners don't have enough evidence to go to trial. Court's opinion notes that former speedway owners failed to define relevant market and that their experts failed to consider non-motorsports and non-sports competition for NASCAR in the marketplace, which it said sabotaged the former owners' case. Court does not address monopoly allegations.

Court also ruled that none of the defendants were colluding against the former owners' attempt to buy other tracks to move a Cup date to Kentucky, saying that the defendants didn't prevent the former owners from bidding on other tracks and that owners of other tracks weren't obligated to sell. (Cases in point: Dover, Bob Bahre when he owned NHIS.)

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Appeals_court_sides_with_NASCAR_in_Kentucky_Speedway_case.html

8. playthrough

Milka Duno is going ARCA testing alongside Danica. Mercy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/news/story?id=4735200

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Because TTIUWOP.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's an interesting factoid about Duno - she's a naval engineer with four master's degrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

At the same test? :D This has a lot of potential.

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

NASCAR puts out a poll for the media to rank the top races of the decade. The 2001 Daytona 500, the one in which Dale Earnhardt died, is not among the choices. Isn't that one of the biggest sports stories of the decade, let alone one of the top NASCAR races of the decades? Just surprised not to see it among the choices. Dale Jr.'s win in July of 2001 at Daytona was among them, as was Dale Sr.'s last win at Talladega.
    Thoughts?

12. playthrough

No surprise, coming from NASCAR. But shameful. Because of that race the sport has the new car, the safety innovations and undoubtedly a few more drivers walking the Earth today. If I voted, I'd write in that race and not rank anything else (though I know it's online, you have to choose from their list, etc. Lame.)

Draft saved Draft deleted