1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 1, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, and he once said that about Coke being sold at Daytona.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Which should have never left Labor Day weekend.

I'm interested in seeing how Atlanta does with that date.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hence my reference.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Got a letter from Bristol a few weeks ago offering me a discount if I bought tickets to both NASCAR weekends at a discount. Considering I went to one race at Bristol four years ago (bought through willcall) and I live three time zones away, I was kind of surprised at the offer.
    That said, anyone else feel like watching NASCAR is a little bit like WATCHING the economy. A few sponsors with engine trouble, some doing well and a bunch taken out in "a big one."

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Bristol will never lose a race date unless SMI or NASCAR goes under. But even there tickets can be had this year that weren't previously available. The track has had a plan where you basically buy season tickets to both Cup and both Nationwide races. This year, because so many people didn't renew, this is the first time in 12 years you can walk up and buy a single race ticket. They actually just did a tour of Food City stores (race sponsor, second longest running in NASCAR behind Coke/Charlotte) with a ticket caravan.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I had a friend call me yesterday and offer to buy Dega tickets for us. All I have to do is supply the camping gear, which I already have more than enough of. I'm game, but more for the drunkfest camping than the race itself. I had one hell of a time last fall. It was the funniest, most drama-filled camping experience I've had. However, I will NEVER camp with that same crew again. Once is enough to last a lifetime.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Though the facilities for changing and such leave a lot to be desired, from what I hear.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure if it's still the case, but the Daytona paper used to call the July race the Daytona 400, refusing to say "Pepsi"

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, they clung to Firecracker 400. They held on to all the old names for many years on the grounds that it amounted to free advertising.

They don't do that anymore, of course

And Talladega's giant shower facility/bathroom in the infield by the main tunnel leaves very little to be desired — except that there's only one. If they built a matching facility over in Turn 2 it'd be very good.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've never been to the camping area at Talladega, but from what I've heard and pictures I've seen it makes Woodstock look like a school outing. A good time is had by all.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Camping at Talladega is insane. That's why I said I'm going more for the camping than anything. I've camped there three, maybe four times. This last time I partied more than ever, because it was a guilt-free trip. I had to work the night before (third shift) so I hightailed it over from Atlanta as soon as I could. I showed up around 8:00 and was greeted by some old friends with a cold beer, a warm fire and lots of laughs to get the day started. Things didn't go haywire until later that night, but talk about some funny memories.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You know, Bristol and Talladega infield are really the only NASCAR experiences I'd still be open to.

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Darlington's infield was a treat to watch from the press box back in the 80s and 90s ...

Draft saved Draft deleted