1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 1, 2009.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The company I work for, which is a major sponsor of the sport, was e-mailing employees before Christmas with the chance to purchase Daytona tickets with a face value of $120 for $70. And I doubt that we are the only place being offered that deal. Doesn't sound terribly promising.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, of course it's great for Brian France. His family still has billions, and some of Brian's concepts have been absolutely brilliant.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bristol won't drop a race. One thing that will never happen: Bristol losing money.

Hell, Dr. Mattiolo's making so much money that he doesn't even bother getting title sponsors for the two Pocono dates he owns.

Most of those races have "old-school" names from the days before mega-sponsorships that they can revert to — the Michigan 400, for example, or the Old Dominion 500 (the traditional name for the fall date at Martinsville).

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which coincidentally does not have a sponsor yet. :D

5. 2muchcoffeeman

I wouldn't mind seeing the name brought back, though. :)

I do, however, doubt that the folks at Dover will bring back the old Mason-Dixon 400 name. Or that the new NASCAR will let them.

6. imjustagirl

The press releases I'll miss most: The panicky ones from the track PR people like four days before the race: "PLEASE CALL THIS RACE THE BUTT LOTION 400 AS BUTT LOTION INC. IS THE OFFICIAL SPONSOR. THE RACE HAS A SPONSOR!!!"

But it hadn't had one five days before the race. I used to have to call Martinsville a couple times to ask if they had a race name yet.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

How about World 600?

Firecracker 400?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Spring seems to be a lock with Goody's every year, but every fall it seems like they're pulling a sponsor like that out of their ass.

Hey, Boudreax's Butt Paste used to sponsor a Buschwide car... ya think they could sponsor a race? :D

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Charlotte, Memorial Day.
    Daytona, July.

Spring race at Darlington used to be the Rebel 400. Now they have the Southern 500 name on that, but I can live with that change. :D

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, I know when and where the races are....just wondering as to the odds of the old race names ever coming back to them. :)

11. 2muchcoffeeman

With as money as Coca Cola is tossing around Daytona Beach and Concord? Nah.

12. imjustagirl

Over Bill France's dead body.

God, the abject greed.

Draft saved Draft deleted