1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, ticket sales will be interesting.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm going to guess you haven't been paying much attention.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nope.

I'll do a google news search.

4. imjustagirl

Teams have laid off hundreds of people, the sport will struggle to have fully-funded teams, even cars at some of the top teams don't have full sponsorship.

But "everything's great!" [/brianfrance]

5. 93Devil

But, IJAG, the proof will be how many asses are every eighteen inches at the first race.

I have attended one NASCAR race in my life, and it was on a comped ticket, but I will say, it is the best value in all of major sports.

The seat I had was top row at the start of pit row.My buddy and I spent the day in grilling and drinking, and then we carried some in so we never bought anything inside.

Other than the price of a case and some cheap food from the Wal Mart, that's all we spent. I even think parking was free.

6. 93Devil

I wonder how many people were on a team when the STP car raced and how many are on a team now?

They probably fell into the trap America is in right now; too much shit we really do not need.

7. imjustagirl

You asked specifically about sponsors pulling funds. I told you about it. The rest of it is you shifting to another argument.

8. 93Devil

I know, I am just interested in the overall fallout.

I am not argueing. I am just asking questions. I'm not doubting you at all.

I am just wondering when we might have a race called off because everyone was losing too much money.

Imagine Bristol dropping a race, or having an open weekend in August on the schedule.

9. imjustagirl

Bristol won't drop a race. The places that would be a danger won't be because NASCAR will do what it takes to keep the races in Fontucky.

And as for the open weekend in August...you mean like Aug. 29?

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2009/data/schedule.html

10. 93Devil

I'm more looking at the 9th and the 16th where there is a race penciled in but no name on the race.

This is sad and fascinating at the same time.

11. imjustagirl

Eh, they'll just call it the Watkins Glen 500 and the Michigan 500. Pocono does it.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Getting back to Denny Hamsandwich.....

I don't know David Newton from a hole in the ground, but I honestly have to wonder how someone, anyone, could write this sentence and maintain any kind of self respect:

I mean, is that for real? Did someone really write that and agree to have their byline affixed to that!?

Draft saved Draft deleted