1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Sep 6, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Jerry Sloan, John Stockton, and C. Vivian Stringer all being inducted on Friday.

ESPN put together a really cool video package of Michael Jordan's career this morning on SportsCenter. I figuerd I'd post a thread to see what memories you all have of the five whom are being inducted.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Jordan — Too many memories to mention
    Robinson — His playing days at Navy and seeing him in uniform
    Sloan — None
    Stockton — Short shorts
    Stringer — The Imus debacle

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jordan — Fuck him. Most talented player in the game, but got more breaks than Tebow.
    Robinson — Great talent; a one-man band in college
    Sloan — None
    Stockton — Short shorts
    Stringer — Don't care

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Jordan — Greatest ever in the game. Kobe Bryant is great, but he's not Michael Jordan great.
    Robinson — Remember when Olajuwon shredded him in the '95 playoffs after D-Rob was named MVP. As a Rockets fan, greatest performance that I've seen.
    Sloan — Consistent winner; great organization; extremely underrated head coach.
    Stockton — Behind Magic, the second best PG of all-time. His shooting numbers were extraordinary. My most fond memory of Stockton: In Game 5 of the Western Conference 1st round against the Rockets in '98 (Drexler's last game), he passes to Greg Foster on a fast break, Foster bumbles the pass and turns it over. Rockets miss, and it's another fast break and Stockton finds Foster again, who AGAIN bumbles the pass and turns it over. Rockets miss or turn it over, and Stockton goes on a controlled fast break again, stops FT line extended, waves the first forward running the right lane through as Foster comes in, passes to Foster, who then slams it in emphatically. Back down the court, Stockton was cheering him on, and the crowd goes nuts, realizing Stockton never lost faith in Foster and kept going to him as to not let his confidence slide.
    Stringer — Don't care

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jordan has asked David Thompson to be his presenter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-thompsonjordan090709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i know the peter vecsey speech was/is being talked about on the journalism topics board, but who saw jordan's speech?

it had some humor, light-hearted moments and some emotion from jordan at the beginning, but adrian wojnarowski nailed jordan for the pettiness of the speech.

here's the column:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-jordanhall091209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

and a sentence from the columm:
    you can watch jordan's speech at nba.com:
    http://www.nba.com/video/channels/hall_of_fame/2009/09/11/nba_20090911_hof_jordan_speech.nba/

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wojo had a great column on Jerry Krause a couple days ago:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ao3Z2SzhxCqmKuwHGQwsvxDTjdIF?slug=aw-krausejordan090909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

No doubt Jordan fans loved the speech. To me, it was arrogant beyond belief. There's no I in team, but there's an I in win...good for you, Mike. So classy.

8. Den,

Stockton the second best point guard ever?????? funny......Stockton wasn't on the same planet as isaiah thomas....not. on. the. same. planet

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Many of us are thankful to be in the same position.

But seriously, there are many arguments to be made as to who's better between the two. To say Stockton isn't on the same planet is absurd, however.

10. your right about the same planet. it is closer than that.

But stockon was not a better player than thomas. Thomas did everything stockton did, playmaking wise, and could still hand 40 on you....there's a reason malone intentionally elbowed thomas that night...it's because he lit stock up for 44 the last time the two played.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I could not believe how petty Jordan came across. Agree with every word of Wojnarowski's column. That was a very clear indication of who he is at this point in his life.

My best Jordan story, however, came from covering the Raptors in 1997-98. It was the team's first game after the trade deadline. They'd just dealt Damon Stoudamire and had only 8 players available to face the Bulls, en route to their sixth title. (The Raptors would win 16 games that year.)

Predictably, the Bulls were killing them as the first-half ended, despite Jordan having just three points. My media row seat was by the Bulls bench, and as they warmed up for the start of the second half, Phil Jackson walked over to him and said, "Why don't you take the rest of the night off?"

I'll never forget Jordan's response. He said, "I haven't given these fans their show yet." At the time, the Raptors played in SkyDome, and there were about 35,000 fans. He scored 19 points in the third, many spectacularly, and when the buzzer sounded, walked by Jackson and said, "Now you can take me out."

I really respected that about him.

My Stockton story came from Stoudamire, during his Rookie-of-the-Year season (1995-96). The Raptors actually played the Jazz close at home early in November, but Stoudamire was despondent afterwards. It was the most down he'd be after any game that season. He said that no one took him to the cleaners worse than Stockton. He was crushed. I also remember Willie Anderson walking over to him and explaining how that happens during your first year.

Robinson: I always felt he was never as good as he should have been.

Sloan: Love his honesty. And, despite his crustiness, he certainly feels he should treat people with respect.

Stringer: Don't know her. But, can see she's a very strong person for overcoming her husband's death and daughter's illness.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Jordan's speech is fun to watch. Makes for a great drinking game.

Every time he says "competitive" or "competitor," take a drink. When he sneers at someone who slighted him, take a drink.

He is so sainted by so many, it's interesting to see him ramble like he did. And without David Falk coaching him these days, his delivery of mean-spirited jokes leaves something to be desired.

Draft saved Draft deleted